Sign in to follow this  
Srekel

Please comment my game treatment/concept document

Srekel    168
I have been writing a treatment for my (far from finished) design document. I'm not sure which words best describe the document, so I've chosen treatment because I've seen it in use in some places. I think it's also known as a concept document. It's currently about three to four pages (depending on which font size you prefer) if you do a print preview. I'd like it to be at least a page or two longer. The document will for now serve as a quick introduction to anyone who is new to the game, but in the future I hope I can present it to either a group of friends or a game studio. Anyways, I'm looking for some input on it. It's currently divided into two "major" topics, "Game Mechanics" and "Story, plot, setting, world and theme.", from here on called "Theme", hehe. It would be nice if you could comment on a couple of things, I'll just list them here so you can answer them easily. :) 1) Is there a subcategory missing in Game Mechanics or Theme Or should there be a third or fourth larger category, if so what? 2) Is the text in the subcategories generally enough, too large or too small? I guess that the information in Theme is rather sparse, but on the other hand I am not sure how much of the plot and stuff should be in the game treatment. 3) Is the format of the document ok? 4) Should the Quick Introduction be longer? 5) Should I mention more about the graphics? Hmm, I think that's it. :) The treatment is availible here: [url]http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~srekel/files/DesignDocs/Real/treatment.html[/url] Take a look at it, and don't steal all my ideas! ;)

Benjamin Heath    925
Sounds good, Srekel. What you have is a kind of outline for the game. But now the game needs a heart.

For the game to be meaningful, the designer must have goals in mind for it. I don't know for sure, but I think you have to have a specific emotion in your heart that encompasses and unites the entire game experience. (To take an example from classical music, "Crime and Punishment" is about the distress and guilt a man feels after committing murder.) I don't know for sure, but I also think the game should very quietly have a magic number. (In Legend of Zelda, you could say this number is 3. 3 types of almost every enemy, 3 swords, etc.) And these are the things you may have to keep to yourself (especially the magic number).

Perhaps your game, if it's a CRPG, is about a young girl or boy's rise to power after years of neglect? (That's the beauty of art: You can really do anything you want, so long as it feels right. The player doesn't know what's coming for him, so why not surprise him?)

I hope that helps. =P Take 'er easy, alright?