Free engines

Started by
16 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 9 months ago
Please do not kill me for this thread; i know there are a lot of lists with free 3d engines, however, none of them is good enough to use in a commercial project, even in a hobby project. I'm in a situation to evaluate some free or relatively cheap 3d engines and so far I've looked att Cipher, Torque and Ogre but none of them is powerful enough. I bet there are a lot of people in the same situation as me, but does not has the "courage" to ask this question. So I beg for a moderator to put som glue on this post and that you guys out there can post a link to free or relatively cheap 3d engines, your experience with these engines and pros and cons. sincerely yours.
Ethereal
Advertisement
I won't kill you ;), but Torque and Ogre not powerful enough?! Exactly what features are you looking for? I would say that Ogre should be able to handle just about anything you can think of. What is missing from Torque and/or Ogre, in your opinion?
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Ahh.. sorry... i shouldn't stated is as "powerful enough"... something like "lack of documentation or features" would be more correct:

Ogre is indeed a very powerful engine, but it seems to have some undocumented memoryleak-bugs that'll appears now and then and Torque is a pretty lame engine though all games created with it does all look the same...
Ethereal
Quake 3 is licensed under the GPL...

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I don't think the core rendering part of QIII is open source. I believe that some of the surrounding elements are but the core I believe is closed. This might make shaders hard to implant. Don't quote me on that though.
Yeah I was going through trying to find decent engines a while ago, and there are next to NONE. Ogre is the only one that comes close, and it is really hard to get to use--not to mention it KILLS old hardware.

For indie games, after my current project reaches beta phase (very soon!!) I'm going to be developing a generic, platform-agnostic interface for all sorts of games. If you can wait like 6 months then you'll have something to work with :P

Best bet I'd say is to "roll your own" and figure out how to get things done. Or use DarkBASIC--it's very powerful.
Quote:I'm in a situation to evaluate some free or relatively cheap 3d engines and so far I've looked att Cipher, Torque and Ogre but none of them is powerful enough.

Powerful enough for what?

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Quote:Original post by johnhattan
Quote:I'm in a situation to evaluate some free or relatively cheap 3d engines and so far I've looked att Cipher, Torque and Ogre but none of them is powerful enough.

Powerful enough for what?

well if you read my second post i said that was a miss by me, both engines are good, but none is flawless
ahh.. the post above was ofcourse my =)
Ethereal
Sinbad (username of the creator that created OGRE) says when I told him about the memory leaks thing just now:

56k of D3D memory leaks I haven't managed to track down yet, stuff that's allocated in D3D itself rather than OGRE... leaks don't cause bugs, overruns do... i'm pretty sure we don't have any of those, unless they're in areas people don't use.... 95% of the time bugs are caused by other people or bad media.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement