Sign in to follow this  
Chokki

breeding gods

hi all. i am working on a new project. The reason I have started this project is to expand on one concept... What if you make the player a god? Thus, "Juno" is born. Juno is the name of a robot players will be playing in this game. humanoid, strong, etc. etc. However, as i said... i want the player to think Juno is a god. being, he can do amounts of damage to his surrounding environment that are staggering to no end. Here are some of the things Juno would be able to do... - Juno is able to pick up enemies. If he throws them, he could throw them so hard that they would tear chunks out of the walls, ceiling, and floor. - Pick up a tank 5 times his size, and smash it into the ground.. - Wade through pools of lava without suffering damage. The list goes on... but that's where you come in. Think about it. What have you always wanted to do in a fighting/shooting game? Fly? Climb on walls? Destroy bosses the size of the screen? If you want it, post it here. Maybe we'll make it a little competition... to see who has the craziest ideas.. Here, the sky really is the limit. Any laws of physics, especially gravity, are to be broken. Well, get to it then. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

'Black and White' - You had to protect your flock or lose influence.

'Boulders Gate' - You gradually discover your a demi-god.

Both had to put limits and constrictions on what the player could do to maintain interest. Its no fun being Q :).

Jay

Guest Anonymous Poster
it sounds like the player is too powerful and unrealistic. It is easier and funner to play a character that you can relate to, not some unbeatable super-powerful god.

I don't think the previous two post realized the jist of your request. I think you are just having a contest for eyecandy scenes of a god being bad ass. In that regard here is my idea.

As Mountain Dew became more annoyed, the blood boiled in his veins. Mountain Dew's final act was to swallow the enemy city whole, only to choke on one of the sky scrapers.

remember that the trick to making your player a Uber-Badass, you need a really good antagonist to make the balance. I mean, how cool is your robot, and then, woah, that badguy just picked up a building and hit you with it.

Quote:
Original post by Inmate2993
remember that the trick to making your player a Uber-Badass, you need a really good antagonist to make the balance. I mean, how cool is your robot, and then, woah, that badguy just picked up a building and hit you with it.

yup. you and thermodynamics know what im getting at.

yes. this will not be a hack and slash game.. enemies will not be able to cause you very much damage, but they can take a lot themselves. Physical damamge is about the only way to effectively injure or destry an opponent. At the same time, weapons will be available for players that do wish to shoot stuff instead.

Heh, yes. I like this 'throwing of buildings' idea. And then you would see the player, Juno, get back up and shake off dust from said building.

I really dont want the game to play like megaman... this will be equally a fighter as to a shoot-em-up

Quote:
it sounds like the player is too powerful and unrealistic. It is easier and funner to play a character that you can relate to, not some unbeatable super-powerful god.

It's a good thing you posted anonymously because that kind of blasphemy can get you shot.

If the game is properly constructed, it doesn't matter what kind of "powers" or illusions of power the player has. It is also important to remember that megalomania is a word for a reason. Humans like to have dillusions of grandeur.

So he wants to make a game where you throw mortals through walls and smash tanks like kittens. It just means that the trails will have to scale up to meet the player's power. There doesn't have to be an antagonist character, either: Environmental hazards, natural disasters, and strange personal goals can be interjected to provide the player with something to fight for.

. . . .

In this game, I would love to tear down telephone poles and use them as clubs. Play golf with cars instead of balls, plow through doors or large windows. . . . rampant vandalism would be fun.

In this game, I would love to tear down telephone poles and use them as clubs. Play golf with cars instead of balls, plow through doors or large windows. . . . rampant vandalism would be fun.

oh yes. it would indeed.
i know you are probably mentally picturing scenarios, feel free to write them too.

For instance...

I see juno and the last human survivors fleeing a military outpost. A shot from the enemy plummets the ship down into the center of an empty city. The haze from smoke and snow blur the outline of the hovercraft. Juno and perhaps a few others survive the impact, now faced with the mission of returning to the base, and holding off hostiles until friendly forces can arrive.

'God' characters, and by that I mean characters which are godlike, either in a divine sense, or in a powerhouse sense, are going to be the new bane of games soon.

I can identify better, personally, with characters that are always fallible, always short of being walking tanks. I always fail to find finality in a game where by the latter half, I'm walking through dozens of enemies without so much as a scratch.

Quote:
Original post by Run_The_Shadows
I always fail to find finality in a game where by the latter half, I'm walking through dozens of enemies without so much as a scratch.

Yes, I don't enjoy these games either. What I do like, is games like Black & White. You're not some superhuman an uber-secret agency hired to go to a secret base in Europe and mow down billions of bad guys.

I like it when you have a group of followers and you can choose to be good or evil, black or white (OK, that sounded racist, but it's yin and yang, ya know).

And see how those people evolved.

Has anyone seen the episode of Futurama where Bender is lost in space and an asteroid with tiny people on it crash on him and they have a civilizition and Bender plays god? When Bender didn't pay attention and loss control of his people, they went to war and both sides were obliterated; if it were a game, the player would have lost.

That's my idea of god game design.

This probably isn't an original idea, but what if you start out as a god and slowly "level-down". I'm not saying you suddenly lose your powers at one point in the game; as you kill more people and cause destruction the xp you gain makes you weaker. I guess this only works for an rpg.

Quote:
Original post by Dragun
All this talks reminds me of the SNK fighting game King of the Monsters...

Or Godzilla.

Knocks out the Titans. Summons giant elementals whose size is 4x the screen size. Carries big ass rocket launchers.

Anyway, you can watch Hercules movie to get some reference.

again... just to remind people...

this won't be a every-enemy-takes-one-hit-so-you-can-tear-through-the-levels game.

Enemies will on average take 5 or 6 hits to kill, depending on method of attack.

so although the player will think he's godlike merely because buildings blowing up on him don't hurt him very much doesnt mean he'll have it too easy.

as the saying goes, "a better brand of beef makes a butter burger better. "

I do like the idea of a God character, as long as there is a reasonable challenge for him/her.

Maybe, the character is so powerful, they are thought of as "God". But early-mid-game, like a good Final Fantasy game, drop on them the fact that there is something even more powerful out there that thinks of the character as the character thinks about the rest of the world. This greater being could be threatening the world, or even all of existence in general.

As for ideas for cool things to do in a game, I would like to actually rip a hole through multiple realities when I attack an enemy, and banish them or just completely destroy them. But I don't want to do something like this right at the beginning of the game.

Josh

Quote:
Original post by mumboi
This probably isn't an original idea, but what if you start out as a god and slowly "level-down". I'm not saying you suddenly lose your powers at one point in the game; as you kill more people and cause destruction the xp you gain makes you weaker. I guess this only works for an rpg.

Or based on this same idea, what if you play a God who is dying throughout the whole game? The game would get harder not as the foes you fight become more powerful, but as you slowly become weaker, and it's a race against time to stop whatever it is that's doing this to you.

And think of the message in something like that. Sure you're near god-like, but when you reach the end, you'll simply be a strong willed human.

In the beginning, you could rely on awesome godlike powers, but as you progress, you learn more mundane methods of having to deal with situations, like actual fighting rather than making them (not-so) spontaneously combust.

I like it :)

Gideon

I always like the Mighty Mouse/Atom Ant approach.
Something small knocking ten-bells of poo out of something 50 times their size.
I especially like the cartoon 'grab them by the arm and swing them into the ground, first to the left then to the right' effect.

Quote:
Original post by ishpeck
Quote:

It's a good thing you posted anonymously because that kind of blasphemy can get you shot.

If the game is properly constructed, it doesn't matter what kind of "powers" or illusions of power the player has. It is also important to remember that megalomania is a word for a reason. Humans like to have dillusions of grandeur.

Shot? How many games do you see floating around out there where you're a god-like being that CAN'T lose? You can't be defeated throughout the entire game even if you try? NONE. Know why? They're not fun. Sure, games like DOOM and whatnot have God Mode but that's a cheat, that's not part of the actual game. The same principle applies to games that are *too* easy. A game must be well-balanced, not just well-drawn. Blasphemy indeed.

You are a powerful being. You can trek through the desert, wade through lava and walk the polar ice caps with out thought. Your punches are like wrecking balls, your slightest step causes earthquakes.........

Now you have to transport a glass globe, crystal figurine, sick child or some other fragile object back to your abode so you can add it to your collection. You can't directly handle it because of your brute force. Think about trying to pick up the cellophane cover off a cigarette box with out crumpling it or causing it to collapse.

Could make a good puzzle game. Do you do a favor for someone else to transport it for you or do you bully them into it? What happens when the person transporting your item is attacked but using your power directly to protect him will cause the item to shatter/die?

Well I would like to have an allseeigeye being able to read the thoughts of npc or to see a place far far away by concentration.
I also i would like to have transformation abilities, like concentrating and becomea kind of fire elemtal surrounded by flames, or to concentrate and then have wings to fly.
Or to become a stormgod able to command the winds.
But well you said only phsicaldamage.
So how about causing earthquakes by hitting the ground blowing someone away , or causing a shockwave by a simply scream?

I also thought about the balance think so how about yourself would be nearly indestructible but you would have people with you to protect you
(anone knows the Anime
MD Geist ?)

Maybe there would also be ways to capture you in a forcefield or to weaken you by prayers ,then you would need your people canceling the prayers with their own or destroying the forcefield.

An idea I alsways thought would be great is to have a number of such super-powerful characters which fight. When you say land a special move or whatever you punch someone through a building. Something like in Dragonball Z or Gundamn(spelling) Wing in destruction. Either a 2-player beat-em-up or some kind of multiplayer action with some weapons or something. In essence in these ideas the landscape is just a background, so the action would have to remain fun after destroying buildings gets old.

Or maybe you have a character like a really pumped-up terminator - he can be hurt by tanks, rocket launchers etc but not normal guns. Then you have the fun of being amazingly powerful and able to throw people/cars through stuff but you can build a game around it too by having sufficiently many enemies. And even the odd character similarly tough as yourself - great possibilites for a Highlanderesque game with you having to kill the other 'Gods' while the other people have a much smaller impact on your health.

ut the idea of a super-touch guy in a normal city would be great, as soon as we can have the power for such real-time destruction of the levels!

I'd like to kick peons out of existence. Like some guy yells at you, then you pull your foot back and kick him really hard, he flies off the planet until he simply **pops** out of the universe.

And I like the mighty mouse idea too, except I'd have Juno be maybe twice the size of a normal human. Then he'd have an inherent look of strength relative to humans. But he'd still be strong and achieve that mighty mouse quality of strength from a tiny package.