breeding gods

Started by
23 comments, last by knowledge 19 years, 9 months ago
'God' characters, and by that I mean characters which are godlike, either in a divine sense, or in a powerhouse sense, are going to be the new bane of games soon.

I can identify better, personally, with characters that are always fallible, always short of being walking tanks. I always fail to find finality in a game where by the latter half, I'm walking through dozens of enemies without so much as a scratch.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Run_The_Shadows
I always fail to find finality in a game where by the latter half, I'm walking through dozens of enemies without so much as a scratch.

Yes, I don't enjoy these games either. What I do like, is games like Black & White. You're not some superhuman an uber-secret agency hired to go to a secret base in Europe and mow down billions of bad guys.

I like it when you have a group of followers and you can choose to be good or evil, black or white (OK, that sounded racist, but it's yin and yang, ya know).

And see how those people evolved.

Has anyone seen the episode of Futurama where Bender is lost in space and an asteroid with tiny people on it crash on him and they have a civilizition and Bender plays god? When Bender didn't pay attention and loss control of his people, they went to war and both sides were obliterated; if it were a game, the player would have lost.

That's my idea of god game design.
This probably isn't an original idea, but what if you start out as a god and slowly "level-down". I'm not saying you suddenly lose your powers at one point in the game; as you kill more people and cause destruction the xp you gain makes you weaker. I guess this only works for an rpg.
All this talks reminds me of the SNK fighting game King of the Monsters...
Quote:Original post by Dragun
All this talks reminds me of the SNK fighting game King of the Monsters...

Or Godzilla.

Knocks out the Titans. Summons giant elementals whose size is 4x the screen size. Carries big ass rocket launchers.

Anyway, you can watch Hercules movie to get some reference.
again... just to remind people...

this won't be a every-enemy-takes-one-hit-so-you-can-tear-through-the-levels game.

Enemies will on average take 5 or 6 hits to kill, depending on method of attack.

so although the player will think he's godlike merely because buildings blowing up on him don't hurt him very much doesnt mean he'll have it too easy.

as the saying goes, "a better brand of beef makes a butter burger better. "
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
I do like the idea of a God character, as long as there is a reasonable challenge for him/her.

Maybe, the character is so powerful, they are thought of as "God". But early-mid-game, like a good Final Fantasy game, drop on them the fact that there is something even more powerful out there that thinks of the character as the character thinks about the rest of the world. This greater being could be threatening the world, or even all of existence in general.

As for ideas for cool things to do in a game, I would like to actually rip a hole through multiple realities when I attack an enemy, and banish them or just completely destroy them. But I don't want to do something like this right at the beginning of the game.

Josh
Quote:Original post by mumboi
This probably isn't an original idea, but what if you start out as a god and slowly "level-down". I'm not saying you suddenly lose your powers at one point in the game; as you kill more people and cause destruction the xp you gain makes you weaker. I guess this only works for an rpg.

Or based on this same idea, what if you play a God who is dying throughout the whole game? The game would get harder not as the foes you fight become more powerful, but as you slowly become weaker, and it's a race against time to stop whatever it is that's doing this to you.

And think of the message in something like that. Sure you're near god-like, but when you reach the end, you'll simply be a strong willed human.

In the beginning, you could rely on awesome godlike powers, but as you progress, you learn more mundane methods of having to deal with situations, like actual fighting rather than making them (not-so) spontaneously combust.

I like it :)

Gideon
I always like the Mighty Mouse/Atom Ant approach.
Something small knocking ten-bells of poo out of something 50 times their size.
I especially like the cartoon 'grab them by the arm and swing them into the ground, first to the left then to the right' effect.
Quote:Original post by ishpeck
Quote:it sounds like the player is too powerful and unrealistic. It is easier and funner to play a character that you can relate to, not some unbeatable super-powerful god.

It's a good thing you posted anonymously because that kind of blasphemy can get you shot.

If the game is properly constructed, it doesn't matter what kind of "powers" or illusions of power the player has. It is also important to remember that megalomania is a word for a reason. Humans like to have dillusions of grandeur.

Shot? How many games do you see floating around out there where you're a god-like being that CAN'T lose? You can't be defeated throughout the entire game even if you try? NONE. Know why? They're not fun. Sure, games like DOOM and whatnot have God Mode but that's a cheat, that's not part of the actual game. The same principle applies to games that are *too* easy. A game must be well-balanced, not just well-drawn. Blasphemy indeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement