Sign in to follow this  
psycho_munkey

DirectX noob: where to go from here

hi all, I just joined up to gamedev.net. Im quite young (14 years old) and I've just finished the book "Intro to 3D game programming with DirectX 9.0" and Im making some simple applications, just loading 3D models and textures and things, But the book doesnt have any real game samples, just code samples to show you the tricks and what not of DirectX. I want to know where to go now, or what book to read to get some code samples of simple 3D games made in DirectX . Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

I'm a fellow newb... It isn't much, but check out:

http://www.innerimagination.com

In the "code" directory is the code for the .exe file up for download. Maybe it'll help you get in the right direction..

-Dan Joseph

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hello,

I am a newbie too (and fairly young also). I am sure that there are some good books out that have some good sample games. What I did was buy The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming, it does not have a game, but it has some DirectX Wrapper classes so I used those to create my own VERY primative 3D game. I must say that I have heard bad things about that book (read the reviews in the books section) so I can't recommend it especially because it sounds like you covered most of the topics. It was extremely exilarating to get a program up and running that allows you to fly around shooting things. Right now what I am doing is expanding on those wrapper classes using other books Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX and Advanced 3D Game Programming Using DirectX 7.0. Both are good books with a good refresher courses that is allowing me to build my own sample game from the ground up improving upon the classes in The Zen of Direct3D. I have heard that there is an updated version out: Advanced 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9 by Peter Walsh (the same person who wrote The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming) maybe it is better. I would recommend looking around in the book section of gamedev.net for a good book that looks about your level, has a sample game (or at least some wrapper classes), and has good reviews. However, the best way to learn is by doing. Get a book that has a sample app that you can start with and build from there.

Wow, that was long! Anyway, good luck!

Get Programming Role Playing Games w/ DirectX 8.0 and port the code examples to DX 9. And then...well I'm not quite sure after that. Basically I'm diving more in depth into each topic covered in the fore mentioned book. On the side, I'm trying to peace together a complete game engine from various smaller engines like OGRE for graphics.

Hello, I am 10 years old and I've been in game development for quite a few years, I might be able to help. I recommend you read "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX 8.0", as was mentioned in the above post. But for newbies to game development , like yourself, I recommend you start of writing 2D games, because afterall not everyone is a born genius like myself who knows how to develop 3D games very early on :D

Quote:
Original post by Doom3Coder
Hello, I am 10 years old and I've been in game development for quite a few years, I might be able to help. I recommend you read "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX 8.0", as was mentioned in the above post. But for newbies to game development , like yourself, I recommend you start of writing 2D games, because afterall not everyone is a born genius like myself who knows how to develop 3D games very early on :D

If he's truly finished that book than I think he'll have little trouble working on at least a basic 3d game. One could even make a grid-based game that is little more than a 3d port of any given 2d game. (The one where you push the boxes for example).