Sign in to follow this  
evolutional

[web] Critique new design

evolutional    1393
I don't know if you ever looked at my old site, but I've erased it all and started from a clean slate. I'm aiming for a global style with microsite customisations, basically they must all fit into the same 'brand'. I've not redesigned for a while so I'm asking if you could give me some constructive feedback on the design of the site (not content, that's being prepared). I know the Manta-X microsite needs a colour tweaking and that the sites don't seem to quite display correctly under Firefox 0.9, but I'm working on that right now. How do you think the sites 'feel'? I'm using new tecghnologies to me; I'm aiming for XHTML 1.1 STRICT (not 100% there yet) and CSS 1.0. I'm using ASP3.0 with MSXML3 / XSLT and MySQL 4 to power it all. Here's the links to the sites: evolutional - Evolutional main site jsInvaders - jsInvaders microsite Manta-X - Manta-X microsite I'm fairly happy with them, I just want to sort out any glaring issues before I fall straight into the content. To good thing is that because I'm using XSLT/CSS now, I can make on-the-fly changes that replicate instantly. I have a bunch more plans for the contents of the sites, but I'll be adding them hen the design 'works'. Thanks

twanvl    512
- just flipping though those three sites, the color difference takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to, not a really big problem, but if there will be some switching it is something to think about.
- the site only occupies the upper left corner of the screen (1280x1024). You should try how it looks when centered
- really minor: the circles in the evolutional logo are not anti aliased
- you seem to have a directory path in the layout "home/screenshots". I think it is much to prominent in the layout. A lot of people will not know what to do with it. And I think it should also be only at the top
- other than that the design seems fine

clum    217
The main one hurts my eyes a bit, I'm not sure why (too bright?) and the lines between the top toolbar go a pixel too low in Mozilla 1.5 (I don't know if that's what you mean by "don't seem to quite display correctly").

evolutional    1393
Thanks for your comments...

Odd, in IE6 it *is* centred. It's only Mozilla/Firefox that seems to bork on it - as clum also said).

Quote:

really minor: the circles in the evolutional logo are not anti aliased

Yup, I noticed that too. I'll have a sort out. There's also a glitch in the MX logo gif too.

Quote:

just flipping though those three sites, the color difference takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to

I'm intending them to be microsites based off the main site, so essentially people will go straight to Manta-X or jsInvaders. I think flipping will decrease once there's more content there too.

The same I feel applies to the home / screenshots - the top/bottom bar links will be spaced out when there's screens there (like in the news pages). But I do see what you mean - the path seems too prominent. Maybe drop 'screenshots' to 'screens'.

Looking at it, I think having 'home' is confusing - if you go from evolutional -> jsInvaders, home will natuarally be evolutional. I'm thinking I should change the initial name on the breadcrumb trail (evo / jsi / mx)

Quote:

The main one hurts my eyes a bit

I see how you mean, perhaps an off-white would soften the impact?

aleclair    169
Since the design is pretty simple, my comments are mainly on some of the smaller details. I looked at your site using Firefox 0.8 on Mac OS X.

On your navigation bar, when you roll over one of the links, the color fills up the entire box, as well as covering up the bottom border. This looks a little odd to me. I think it would look much better if it only filled in the inside of the button, and left the outside grey border.

Also, the background behind the content doesn't go all the way to the copyright footer. Is this intentional?

The text in the copyright footer could also be de-emphasized. Maybe make it a color that contrasts a little less with its background color.

The little grey divider between the content, and the navigation among the micro sites is right up against the top, but there is a little space at the bottom. Maybe make this consistent.

Definitely center it. It helps quiet all those Windows users who like to browse in one gigantic IE window.

Hope those suggestions were helpful evolutional. Your sites are coming along well!

Andy