Compiler Help

Started by
4 comments, last by WolfSpring 19 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, you've already pointed me in many gread directions. I"ve learned alot in 6 weeks, not where i wanted to be, but thats the Army's fault. Anyway, i cureently love Dev C++ 5.0, it's free, it's easy and it's what all my books were written around, but I'm in a class using MS Visual 6.0 having errors. I'm considering purchasing a good compiler made by microsoft or someone better, that is more geared around windows gaming then Dev, which can do windows, just a little more programing. Anyways, any advice on which ones are good, what to stay away from, or maybe a link to some reviews, I also like good VS sites that show the pros and cons of two diff ones. So far I'm looking at .net, which I'm not sure what it is. And the true question comes to mind, is it worth putting money into? Or do I stick with the freebies and can Dev C++ do a high profile game? Thanks
Advertisement
If all you're looking at is to program games, there's no need for a more "windows-oriented" compiler. If you are looking to program regular software as well, then I recommend MSVC.NET. There aren't different Visual Studio's, there's just newer ones and older ones (well, there might be a couple of different editions, but that doesn't really matter). Just get the latest version of VC, if you want it. On the other hand, I haven't used Microsoft VC for a very long time, soo...
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
I'd recommend holding out for Visual C++ 2005 Express, if you can wait that long. It should be out in the first few months of 2005; according to Microsoft's notes it will also be much cheaper than the current editions of Visual C++. The new 2005 version has, from what I've heard, a much better interface and support for the newest version of Managed C++. I won't go into major details about .Net and Managed C++ here, but I think it is safe to say that they will both play a big part in the future of Windows programming, so they'd be good things to get to know early on. You can download a beta version of 2005 Express from MSDN right now, but it will expire sometime around when the full version is released.

The current version of Visual C++ (2003) is also quite good, but will probably be slightly more expensive, and it won't include the latest updates to the .Net and MC++ specs. If you are willing to make the tradeoff (money and lack of features, but sooner) that is probably your best option for right now.

There's nothing "bad" about Dev C++ and the MinGW compiler, and nothing that would keep you from making a great game (or any other software) with them. It will take a little bit more work, since it isn't directly from Microsoft, but plenty of people here use DevC++ without problems, and with impressive results. Whether or not it is worth putting money into depends on how serious you are; if this is just a hobby, or a fun passtime, I'd advise saving your money for later. If you seriously want to make a career out of it, though, it is very much worth waiting for VC++ 2005 and getting some experience with .Net and Managed C++.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

im also a dev C++ 5 user. i say if you know how to use it better than visual c++ and can get the same or better results (no errors etc), then keep using it. i know, ive also tried visual C++ and had the same problem (getting errors from the same code that works in dev) but at the moment im currently finishing off a game (only one more ai to write and it will be finished!) that was made completely from dev C++ and the library and DX patches which were easy as to install because of a tutorial on GameDev.net (its something like "setting up direct x with dev C++").

so in the end, i say stick with dev c++ cause you seem to know how to use it and keep checking the announcements page for my thread when i release my game! :) that way you can see something made form dev c++.

good luck with whatever COA you choose, and i hope you have as much a good time making games as ive had. i find the results of seeing your game come to life so rewarding. :)

-moo
the_moo
Stick with the compiler you have and get a better text editor (or IDE) =) Check out Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Thanks for the great responses. I'm not looking to make a career out of anything right now, i'm in the army and this is starting out as a hobby for now, but may later become something i do for money, which I'm sure is many of our dreams here, I do have an awesome game design, and would like to at least learn enough and be able to do enough to set up a small demo of my idea. I've tried modding years ago, and I've made multiple maps for other games with developer tools. I think I'll stick with Dev for now, maybe try the 2005 demo and see where it goes from there. I've got nothing but time, and on my current track i'll have my first 2D game by Dec which is fine for me, due to Working late and such. Again thanks for the advice, I'll hopefully be posting in here in a few months with a clone game, before I develop my own 2D and then move on to 3D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement