Sign in to follow this  
djoseph74

Matrix Type Opinion...

Hi All, I was reading thru a few write-ups on Matrices over the last week. I've run into more than one that talk about making your own Matrix rather than using the built in D3D Matrix class. Curious... Take for instance, I was building an RPG similar with Morrowind with an open world you can roam around. Is there a better route to take? Writing my own Matrix class, or just use the built in D3D classes? -Dan Joseph

D3DX utility is very useful.

I always tend to use this utility for my matrices and
vectors and I really like to use it with my applications.

I feel its better to use this utility because it is not only complete but also very effective too,if one don't want to rewrite his own.(Save Time It's more than Money).

The D3DX functions are highly optimized for SSE, SSE2, 3DNow, and probably SSE3.

The only two reasons to write your own is to reduce the amount of code that changed when switching platforms, and to learn. You'll still want several versions for various processor extensions.

If you're going to stick to Windows and D3D, and you're not curious about writing a math library or dabbling in SSE, just stick with the D3DX functions.

Ahh ok, I will stick with them then. I'm not at the point in my math where I want to tackle that at the momment anyway. The tutorials that I was reading were stating that you could use your own for moving to OGL or D3D or both with it. I guess it makes sense. I've got no plans for OGL at the momment. Thanks for the opinions, have a good one.

-Dan Joseph