Sign in to follow this  
White Scorpion

Most basic OpenGL program ?

White Scorpion    148
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you could give some idea of REALLY basic programs to do with OpenGL ? I can build some nice pyramids and prisms lol Thanks to everyone.

White Scorpion    148
I guess it's just like Win32 programming. You take a skeleton and then after a few days/weeks you can make your own. But for now I'd like to know if someone had an idea on a small application to make, nothing too hard. I can make simple forms and some 3D thingies like prisms and pyramids.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by White Scorpion
I guess it's just like Win32 programming. You take a skeleton and then after a few days/weeks you can make your own. But for now I'd like to know if someone had an idea on a small application to make, nothing too hard. I can make simple forms and some 3D thingies like prisms and pyramids.

try making an opengl screensaver those are almost always impressive!

Famine    100
Quote:
Original post by White Scorpion
But again... what will it do ? I have no idea and not much knowledge in OpenGL.

1] make a robot out of cylinders, with arms, a body, a head from a sphere with a cone on top, legs, fingers and make them all move around relative to each other. Add some light to the scene.

2] make a small sphere bounce around the robot like a basketball

3] make a camera system to view that moving robot with the mouse and keyboard using euler rotations, quaternions etc.

4] post results here when done and we'll give you a more difficult project to work on

Squirm    481
Conways game of life (cellular automota) (google it). A very simple project and a great way to get going as a beginner (it was my graphical hello world whenever I learnt a new language).

Fen    882
Writing a OpenGL program is quite easy and intuitive. One can use even a GLUT that keeps one away from specified OS.
I think that demo with particle system is very good idea.
Just put some particles in the space and move them.
When you code the "base" of the demo You will probably have many new ideas to improve it...

RobD122    126
Quote:
Original post by Famine

1] make a robot out of cylinders, with arms, a body, a head from a sphere with a cone on top, legs, fingers and make them all move around relative to each other. Add some light to the scene.

Heh, that was the first thing I did when I started modeling. Except for the whole movement then. Looking back on when I can do now it looks rather funny... and very top heavy >:D