Most basic OpenGL program ?

Started by
10 comments, last by RobD122 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you could give some idea of REALLY basic programs to do with OpenGL ? I can build some nice pyramids and prisms lol Thanks to everyone.
Advertisement
Build a window? Might as well learn that because that will be the basis of ALL of your programs.
I guess it's just like Win32 programming. You take a skeleton and then after a few days/weeks you can make your own. But for now I'd like to know if someone had an idea on a small application to make, nothing too hard. I can make simple forms and some 3D thingies like prisms and pyramids.
Quote:Original post by White Scorpion
I guess it's just like Win32 programming. You take a skeleton and then after a few days/weeks you can make your own. But for now I'd like to know if someone had an idea on a small application to make, nothing too hard. I can make simple forms and some 3D thingies like prisms and pyramids.

try making an opengl screensaver those are almost always impressive!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
But again... what will it do ? I have no idea and not much knowledge in OpenGL.
Quote:Original post by White Scorpion
But again... what will it do ? I have no idea and not much knowledge in OpenGL.

1] make a robot out of cylinders, with arms, a body, a head from a sphere with a cone on top, legs, fingers and make them all move around relative to each other. Add some light to the scene.

2] make a small sphere bounce around the robot like a basketball

3] make a camera system to view that moving robot with the mouse and keyboard using euler rotations, quaternions etc.

4] post results here when done and we'll give you a more difficult project to work on
3d pong, not too hard of a project..
Conways game of life (cellular automota) (google it). A very simple project and a great way to get going as a beginner (it was my graphical hello world whenever I learnt a new language).
If you want a skeleton OpenGL App, there is one included in the DevC++ new project templates.
Check out the downloads and projects sections on NeHe's site, lots of small applications there that will give you ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement