Sign in to follow this  
gSharq

"real time" GI

gSharq    127
Hi all, i'm implementing a static version of this paper "interactive global illumination on the graphics processing unit" available at http://www.cs.ucf.edu/graphics/GI-Sumant.html. by static version i mean that i stole the idea of using a 3D texture to store the radiance in the scene encoded in SH .... but, it's too slow for real life use (ie: in a game) and the memory consumption is just outrageous. so my question to you guys is, is there a better way to account for GI effects for static lights + (static and dynamic objects). i'm only interested in the diffuse effects (non view dependant). my ultimate goal is to have a seamless transition between static (maybe lightmapped) objects and dynamic ones. Thanks.

If you're using DirectX, the upcoming Summer 2004 update includes PRT SH functions. I think all it needs is a few constant registers in your shader, however the pre-processing step that figures out what these constants are takes a long time (hours, maybe days).

Since I'm not part of the beta group, I can't really give you more details.

gSharq    127
yes, i know, but this still suffers from the huge memory usage and i don't think it D3DX PRT stuff supports 3D textures.
my problem is not getting it to work, the problem is more if there's other alternatives to get what i wwant without burning that much resources.
Thanks.