Sign in to follow this  
MasterDario

Rp Damage Calculation and Dodging Help!!!

Hi all, i was just wondering if you could give me a good damage equation and dodging calculation using the following stats. Hero1 atk Hero1 def Hero1 agi Enemy 1 atk Enemy 1 def Enemy 1 agi Since my game is tactical i wanted to keep the damage dealt pretty low :). Also how should i randomize the damage dealth a bit so it isnt always static. Any Help is appreciated thank you Dario

How about...

if (Hero1.agi + rand() > Enemy1.agi + rand())
Enemy1.health-=Hero1.atk-Enemy1.def+rand()

...and you can scale the amount of damage substracted how you want.

The equation you use depends on the results you want and what each stat affects to the result. For the dodging, if you have an agility stat or something like it, compare it with the same agility stat of the attacker, depending on the difference tells how likely a dodge is. If The attacker has a much higher agility, than the dodge isn't very likely, but if they are about even, than the dodge is balanced, maybe 20 percent or something like it. As for the randomness, decide as above with agility(using attack and defense stats) how much the damage would be, then take a deviation value(how far could you go up or down, depends on how far you want to deviate), take this value, multiply it by a random float between -1 and 1, then add it to the damage, so if you wish to deviate up to 10 damage, then when you multiply it with the random(make it -0.5), then you get -5 added to the damage, which downs it five points.

There is one thing I never understood with all this ROG games (most anyhow).

Why do they do things SO complicated?

Basically I would study rules for P6P RPG's FIRST and see how things are done there.

A lot of bad design decisions in CRPG's could be avoided then (especially if you skip the D20 rule system in the reading).

And check out of print material. Like the Alternity system. NICE damage system.