• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
code_evo

System::Net::Sockets, how to monitor ports?

This topic is 5096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking into writing a simple firewall application in .NET I dont know much about sockets etc. I've only used the simple .NET TcpClient classes etc. How would I go about querying ports to find out if they are listening|open|connected etc. And the associative information. Any helpful link or resource would be appreciated. Thanks, /Jeff

Advertisement
You can't really write an application like a firewall using sockets, nor is it a very good idea to write it in C# or any other managed language. Writing a socket requires a pretty low level of access to the network stack, and, AFAIK, you need to write a kernel-mode driver. This is *not* something for beginners.

Well even though I'm a beginner at network programming, I'm not affraid of the challenge.

I've been researching, IPHelper, nDIS, and a few custom libraries.

Anyone tips on where to start?
I need to be able to monitor ports (which can be done through IPHelper) and block traffic (which I think NDIS will allow, but documentation is difficult for beginners)

btw, I dont need to use .net, mfc will be fine, or even console based but i'd like to write a gui so mfc probably.

Thanks,
/jeff

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!