Sign in to follow this  
2xp

time needed to make a small game

2xp    136
hi i am a independant developer (read : hobbyist game programmer wanting to break in the gaming industry) with a couple of spare hours each day. i am planning to make a small 2D space adventure game this summer. i've read a couple of books, i created a few *basic* games, but if i do this game, i want to make sure that i'll finish this project at the end of august. so i want to plan something not too big, but not too small either. this being my kinda first serious project, i don't have ANY clue how this will happen so for all the experienced game developers, when u guys began, how much time did you need to develop a small game ? knwing i am alone and i 'll have to do all the artwork and everything

WonderWorld    100
I think you could do a game like asteroids within that time limit. You should consider that you need to make a complete game. I mean with high score lists, start screen. To stabilize the code usually is very time consuming and getting every little nice extra feature in will also take time.

Fen    882
"small game" is quite relative concept... :)
The first thing You should do is to design all the game...
You could also code the "core" of the game and improve it all the time.
Everything depends on your expirience and how you know libraries, that You will use to create the game. The more functions/structures of the library You know the faster You create the game. So if You dont know any library at quite good level, You should spend some time to be familiar with it...

All in all, I think that nearly two months is sufficient time to create small game... but dont give up... :)