Sound together with OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by TangentZ 19 years, 9 months ago
I'm new to OpenGL and although this might not be a specific OpenGL question I still wonder; What API is suitable for playing sound together with OpenGL apps? I think I will need 5.1 surround sound. Is DirectSound (from DirectX) ok to mix with OpenGL?
Johan Torp - http://www.destruction.nu
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by thorpe
What API is suitable for playing sound together with OpenGL apps? I think I will need 5.1 surround sound. Is DirectSound (from DirectX) ok to mix with OpenGL?

Uhm, yeah. I wouldn't worry about finding a OpenGL 'compatible' library since they really shouldn't have much to do with each other anyway.
Just have a look at the specs/interface for a few common apis (dsound, openal, fmod, bass, waveout) and find one you're comfortable with.

Lycka till :)
there is also Audiere and while i've not used it myself some people on these boards have said good things about it so i plan to look into it at some point.
Not OpenGL-related.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

It your choice whoich library is used together with OpenGL, but OpenAL seems to be OpenGL-like in design
www.tmreality.com
Yeah, the odds of there being a clash between OpenGL and any given sound library are slim to none.

So you can use whatever you like best. Of course, keep in mind that if you use DirectX, you won't be able to port your program to Linux without using a different sound engine anyway. That's all your prerogative though. You may not care about Linux support in which case, DirectX is fine.

-Auron
OpenAL is a 3d sound library and it is like the sound version og opengl
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
The OpenAL web site.

Hey, you never know... even if the name is obvious. [lol]
神はサイコロを振らない!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement