Sign in to follow this  
thorpe

Sound API

We're making a game in OpenGL whichs is supposed to have 5.1 surround sound. Which SoundAPI is easiest to work with? I've previously written a sound engine in DirectSound but it was very complicated and I had to keep track of buffer pointers and stuff like that. I'd preferably like an API which is a bit more highlevel but support 3Dsound and perhaps even some cool sound effects (like doppler shifts, maybe even echoes). Thanks in advance!

You have a few choices, all good: FMOD, BASS, OpenAL, DirectSound.
There are a lot of basic & simple tutorials on OpenAL on this website and devmaster.net.

I haven't worked with 3D sound so I can't tell you which one to use, but I think it doesn't matter (They're all easy, except for DirectSound).

I've been using DirectMusic/Sound, but I want to get rid of the dependency of DirectX, so I switched to OpenAL. It was used for Unreal and a few other comercial games. About 3d, it is very easy, easier than DirectX, What it is missing is the ability to play MIDI files directly. I'm still working to get the .ogg support to work, and it should, except that for some reason, the .ogg file doesn't open using the .ogg .dll files that DevMaster tutorials use. I don't know at all why.