Sign in to follow this  
frekster

Winsock vrs DirectPlay

frekster    122
Hey. I have been told to not use DirectPlay for multiplay programming and to use winsock instead since it is much more reliable than DirectPlay. A seasoned multiplay game developer told me this but gave me no reason as to why. Can someone give me a few opinions on this? Is Winsock better and if so, in your opinion, why? thanks. //Frekster

JonStelly    127
If a "seasoned" multiplayer game developer told you that, then I'd question how seasoned he is. There are reasons to use Winsock, and reasons to use DirectPlay but reliability isn't one of them.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Comparing DirectPlay with WinSock is like comparing MFC with C++; the first is an API implementation atop the latter.

Yamian    100
I grew up on DirectPlay because I love DirectX and all of it's components and WinSoc confuses the heck out of me. Direct play is so easy to use because it sends and receives messages, understands net players, all that good stuff. WinSoc has a lot more possibility, but is much more complicated. I suggest get good with Directplay and then move on when you feel you've mastered it.

Johns1124    104
Direct play does alot of the "Housekeeping" for you. Meaning it keeps track of what user is on what socket so forth. Alot, easier to use then winsock. But unfortunetly, thats all I usually use is winsock so im used to doing it myself anyhow.

LostLogic    151
It's a pretty common question and you can find my answer in the forum FAQ.

Personally, I use winsock now more than DirectPlay; although, I used to use DirectPlay more. It really comes down to what your target application is.

frekster    122
Hi LostLogic and all.

Sorry about not catching that in the faq, must have overlooked that one. Thanks all for the reply. I do have a further query on this though, and everyone hold onto their pants LOL I am a vb game developer, sorry for mentioning that curse word amongst c++ coders smile, but, I wonder if anyone knows anything about the winsock control in vb. It literally wraps up all the api winsock functionality you need in an active x control. Has anyone heard of this control? Again, it simply wraps up all the winsock api calls into a simple to use winsock activex control. I have actually gotten a complete chat client/server system going using it. I thought this is way too simple so thought it might not be the way to go and then looked at the dx 9 sdk at directPlay, it looks like a boatload more of code to deal with. Anyone heard of this winsock activex control and if so, what are your thoughts/opinions on it? BTW I've been coding in dx via VB since dx 7 so have been doing this for about 3 years now but am just now getting into multiplay games.

//Frekster