looking for cheap modelling software

Started by
12 comments, last by WSippel 19 years, 9 months ago
I'm a programmer, but I have to do temp art until I get an artist. I'm looking to spend less than $100 on software, so maya and 3dsmax are out. What options are there? Forgot, final requirement: reasonably easy to load with DirectX 9.
Advertisement
Milkshape 3d only costs $25, and is by all accounts I've heard, a very good modeller for games.
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
Blender if open source free modelling tool

Blender links:
www.blender3d.org
www.blender.org
www.elysiun.com

I've made several commercial projects with Blender - it's great piece of (free) software
www.tmreality.com
how do these compare in terms of ease of use and exportation into games?
From what I've gathered, Milkshape is pretty easy to use and it allows you to export to lots of common formats, some of which are easy to load.

I don't know too much about Blender but I do know that you can write exporters for it in Python so if you need a custom format, you can do it with Blender.

-Auron
Milskahe has more export formats than Blender, but Blender it jut around a corner and it's number of fiormat's is increasing.
Many gus are writing exporters for Blender.
For example - recently I've downloaded exporter for Doom III.

Milkshape is probably easier to learn, but Blender is extremely powerful alhtough not so easy to use. But there are a plenty of tutorials that will reveal you all its possibilities.
www.tmreality.com
Wing3D (or Wings3D?) is GNU. Can't get any less expensive than that. =)
THE BEST FREE PROFESSIONAL COOL!!
i'm looking at either milkshape or gamespace light, thing is, gsl can only save models with 650 polys or less, does this make it unusable or should I use it anyway?

Basically, which should I use?
I use Milkshape myself and would highly recomend it. It is a great peice of software for the price($25), which includes all new versions when they are released. I started modelling about 2 years ago and choose Milkshape to learn and i picked it up very quickly with no previous experience, if you know anything about 3D modelling at all then you will have no trouble in learning Milkshape. As was said before it accepts lots of different formats, all the common one's and a variety of others (32-import, 39-export).

I don't know if you have been to the website, the forum is worth checking out.

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

As you can download the full program (save disabled) and try it out for a month before you need to buy the registration code. I think you should just download it and try it and as the latest version Milkshape 3D 1.7.1 was released yesterday, your timing couldn't be better

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement