Any Christians In Here?

Started by
152 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 8 months ago
I am not a christian or a pagan or an athiest or anything... I wouldn't even say I'm agnostic because I just don't care which religion is 'right' or if there even is one. I'll refrain from stating my opinions on religion in detail because this thread thread is the first religion based thread that hasn't turned into a flame war and I'm fascinated by that and would like to keep it that way.

However, I would honestly like to know why people chose their religion and why they continue with it (any religion, not just christianity). This is not a sarcastic question in any way, I'm just genuinely curious about it... I mean, is it because your parents practice it? did a friend convert you? did you come to it on your own? stuff like that.
Advertisement
I hold my beliefs because I've thought them through very carefully, and found them to be highly consistent and even elegant. Based on some basic information about God, it is possible to deduce the reasons for almost everything about reality, and make some pretty fascinating speculations. There's a whole tree of interconnected truths that can be generated from a simple starting point, and I find that to have a kind of intrinsic beauty. I've also thought through a lot of other systems of belief, and never found anything that was quite this attractive to me.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I come from a very similar standpoint to ApochPiQ. I would add to it that I've examined the evidence, like literary, archeological, and logical, and feel that it really weighs out to support what I believe. Because of this approach, when I have doubts (which everyone does, and it's not a horrible thing), I can start back at those points of evidence and work my way through it. So even if I don't fully understand something about God, if I can demonstrate that God is who I think he is, then I can accept it. That's part of what faith is.
Quote:Original post by unreason
Personally, I think converting people is fine, just don't be pushy about it. But if people show interest, there's no reason not to tell them about your faith.

as a matter of fact, she did show interest. She wanted to know why i was always trying to be helpful to others, and among other things, wasn't afraid about death.

i would never try to force my beliefs on anyone. i can imagine nothing worse than someone hating someone else for not believing the same thing they do... and i do know people like that.

the sad thing is some people use a religion as an excuse... a crutch. Lashing out at someone using god as an excuse is weak. people of past generations did it, resulting in the confusion over christianity and other religions that my generation share today. My friend certainly was confused.

As for why i am a christian? Personal experience. When you experience god for yourself, well... that's powerful.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
I hold my beliefs because I've thought them through very carefully, and found them to be highly consistent and even elegant. Based on some basic information about God, it is possible to deduce the reasons for almost everything about reality, and make some pretty fascinating speculations. There's a whole tree of interconnected truths that can be generated from a simple starting point, and I find that to have a kind of intrinsic beauty. I've also thought through a lot of other systems of belief, and never found anything that was quite this attractive to me.
Same here pretty much, although I have ended up with many different conclusions. I'm currently reading a book, God and the Philosophers, which is just a collection of essays from various Christian philosophers, about reconciling faith and reason. I've noticed a common trend among many of them to point out that even when two different people, who are both very intelligent and wise, are presented with nearly identical sets of evidence, they will still often times come to completely different conclusions. I respect these people very much for acknowledging that. It would be convenient if there was strongly convincing evidence to support one fairly specific belief above all the rest, but unforunately, that's not how it seems to be. It's easy to wanna say to others, "But isn't just so obvious?" I've done it myself many times. I try my best to refrain from saying such things any more, though, or at least acknowledge that I won't be surprised if it doesn't seem as obvious to others as it does to me.

I think the "pushiness" of your stereotypical Christian is often caused by not truly realizing the diversity of beliefs that exist among very intelligent and respectable people. Stating beliefs about God can sometimes very easily be interpretted to say "If you can't see how obviously correct my beliefs are, then you're lacking a significant amount of intelligence and wisdom." They don't usually come out like that, but there are implications in statements that can be subtle, but real.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I'm Christian
-----If you thought I was helpful, rate me down.If you thought I wasn't helpful, rate me down as well.This idiot didn't read my signature and tried to insult me.
Quote:Original post by Agony
I think the "pushiness" of your stereotypical Christian is often caused by not truly realizing the diversity of beliefs that exist among very intelligent and respectable people. Stating beliefs about God can sometimes very easily be interpretted to say "If you can't see how obviously correct my beliefs are, then you're lacking a significant amount of intelligence and wisdom." They don't usually come out like that, but there are implications in statements that can be subtle, but real.

Yeah, the problem I've seen is that many don't seem to realize that they're trying to convince someone. I've seen people use arguments like "But if you don't believe, you'll go to hell". They quite often seem to forget that these people that they're trying to convince do not believe in hell, which pretty much makes their argument useless.

I had the good fortune of finding a church that is run by it's members (instead of a church authority, such as some other denominations). In addition, our focus is on outreach, but we are far from pushy... we don't go door to door preaching the word of God, but we do advertise the many community events that we hold that we use to do just that, in addition to funding many projects around the world that involve sending missionaries, building schools, building churches, etc. If people don't want to listen, they don't have to.

Our church also had one of the greatest pastors (He has since moved on to create another church.. one focused more on community outreach). One time, during a conversation with him, he actually expressed that he was perhaps 40% sure that he was going to heaven. He does not express doubt in God, but doubt in himself. He shares so much of why he doubts himself in sermons and such that we can be sure he's not, again, one of the stereotypical self-rightous Christians.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Wouldn't that imply a lack of belief, and therefore make you an atheist anyway? [wink] I dunno; that seems to be the running definition around here for whatever reason ...

Not exactly. Lack of belief in god(s) while not denying the possibility of the existance of such beings is called Agnosticism, not atheism. Atheism on the other hand is the outright denial of the existance of god(s).

If you want, look it up on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it may sound strange to state that I have been an atheist since age 3, but it is in fact true. At three, my mother put me in a christian preschool and that is when I started to reject the whole idea of god. A few months later my mother put me in a different school because it wasn't working out too well.

Edit: that's "while" not "wile"

[Edited by - Melekor on July 8, 2004 7:08:55 PM]
I grew up in a Christian home. My father actually converted from Catholicism to a more non-denominational Christian faith when he left his parents' house.

So growing up as a child in church mostly every Sunday did have a large impact on why I've found myself a Christian but is not by any means the sole reason. I chose to be baptized at ten of my own free will, but then, as I will openly admit, began a period of backsliding to the point where I would no longer consider myself a Christian.
Eventually I found myself in a situation where I had to turn back to God and religion. Not necessarily Christianity, but by looking at what evidence there is around me and things such as other religions' beliefs, that is where I settled. I didn't choose to follow Christ just because it's where I grew up, but like others have said, find an overwhelming pool of evidence to support my beliefs.

That's why I'm a Christian.
I don't believe that faith should be pushed onto people, but it is nice to let people know about it and then let themmake their own decisions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement