TSM paper finally online

Started by
5 comments, last by thebolt00 19 years, 9 months ago
Just thought I'd post a short note, as I know that many people were waiting for this paper to be officially released. The paper "Anti-aliasing and Continuity with Trapezoidal Shadow Maps" from Tobias Martin and Tiow-Seng Tan has been released for Eurographics 2004, and can be downloaded here. For those who wonder what it is about, TSM (trapezoidal shadow mapping) is a new type of optimized shadowmapping, that is intended to replace PSMs (perspective shadow mapping). It is much easier to implement, avoids most of the problems encountered with PSMs, and seems to deliver very high quality results in general. It's definitely much better than raw shadowmapping.
Advertisement
Very cool. I stopped working with shadow mapping because of the complexity of PSM. I was going to get around to it sometime, but this sounds more understandable (to me at least). Definitely sounds easier to implement. I look forward to studying it.
Do you think it would be possible for you to publish your bookmarks? I'm wondering how you get all the new information (aside from personal contacts you've developed).
I accualy saw and read that paper a while ago ( :)
Although i havn't tested it myself yet, just seen the pictures and videos and analyzed the algorithm, and indeed, its so far the best way to do shadowmapping i've seen.

As for ways to get information, different organizations and conferences/symposiums often list precedings and papers afterwards. I try to keep an eye on Siggraph, GDC, EuroGraphics, SIGRAD (swedish organization) and a few more..

-Mårten

as a sidenote.. This paper where presented at EGRS just some 100 from my workdesk (i accualy see into the room they where in :/.. ) too bad i couldn't attend..
Quote:Original post by thebolt00
and a few more..

Do you mind listing them?
I finally got TSM working.

Has anyone an idea how to reduce the number of iterations
of stepping from 0.8 to 0.5 texture line which is about
600 iterations when using a 2048 texel shadowmap? The curve is not monotonus.

Btw. there is an other new paper online (with source code), which might be of interest:

"Light Space Perspective Shadow Maps"
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/vr/lispsm/index.html
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:Original post by thebolt00
and a few more..

Do you mind listing them?

Heh, reason i wrote "a few more" is that i couldn't at that time remember which :) However, here are a few more
- IEEE Visualization
- GDC Europe
- Gamasutra sometimes manages to catch something
- NVidia and ATI often publishes good papers.
- GDAlgorithms mailinglist

Those are the one i can think of besides stuff you hear from pals or on IRC :)

-Mårten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement