Sign in to follow this  
Lithic

[.net] ARB extensions in Tao

Lithic    345
I am using the Tao OpenGL wrapper for my C# openGL window. I want to load up a couple ARB extensions so that I can use a pbuffer, but this:
IntPtr hdc = User.GetDC(Handle);
IntPtr ext = Wgl.wglGetProcAddress("wglGetExtensionsStringARB");
string extString = Wgl.wglGetExtensionsStringARB(ext, hdc);
doesn't work for some reason. After ext is assigned, it is still equal to zero. Why is that? Am I doing this wrong?

Washu    7829
Hrm, I'm not sure Lithic, i checked your extension string, and it matches whats in the OpenGL Extension Registry...so, i don't see any reason why it shouldn't return it.

Xanthos    168
From the GDnet article "Moving Beyond OpenGL 1.1 for Windows":

Quote:
As the ARB suffix indicates, it's an extension itself (ARB_extensions_string), so you'll have to get the address of it yourself using wglGetProcAddress(). Note that for some reason, some ICDs identify this as wglGetExtensionsStringEXT() instead, so if you fail to get a pointer to one, try the other.

That may be your problem.

Another cause could be that you don`t have the current context.
But wglMakeCurrent might already be called by User.GetDC(Handle).

Lithic    345
Ok. Modified the code to reflect on your posts (still doesn't work).

bool ARB = true;
IntPtr ext = Wgl.wglGetProcAddress("wglGetExtensionsStringARB");
if (ext.Equals(new IntPtr([0]))) // Brackets around [0] are a fault of the C# gamedev source script
ext = Wgl.wglGetProcAddress("wglGetExtensionsStringEXT");
string extString = ARB ? Wgl.wglGetExtensionsStringARB(ext, hdc) : Wgl.wglGetExtensionsStringEXT(ext);

Doing a debug shows that it executes every line in this code, including the one inside the if statement, and even after that line executes ext is STILL a null pointer (equal to 0). Perhaps the simplest of ARB extensions aren't supported by the hardware I'm using (generic intel gfx card), or perhaps there is some file I need to add to my list of references?