How to do D3D-style multiple vertex stream tweening?

Started by
10 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 9 months ago
This is basically 2 questions: 1) Is it possible to do D3D style vertex tweening across multiple vertex streams in the fixed function TnL, without using a vertex shader? If yes, how? 2) How would I do it in a vertex shader?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Ive been looking around for vertex tweening too, anyways i think this should help a bit:
http://www.flipcode.com/articles/article_shadowvextrude.shtml

scoll about half way down the article, if i understand tweening, this should be it, and you could take the function names and run with them (google)
hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
in a vertex shader I guess it would just be a case of binding one stream to one input, the other to another, giving it a time in a float and working out the position the resulting vertex would be in
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
I guess it would just be a case of binding one stream to one input, the other to another

Right, same as D3D. Just one little detail -- how do I do this in OpenGL?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
You can do it with ARB_vertex_blend. But if your card supports VPs then go with that option (both ATi and nVidia prefer VP over vertex blend) becouse this extension is becoming obsolete.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Whats VP ? (sorry i need to know lol)
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Vertex program, silly Ademan.
AH, never though of that, i always hear fragment program... so that never crossed my mind... :-/ while im busy asking about simple stuff, whats CVA something vertex array, compiled?
-Dan
yes, CVA = Compiled Vertex Array, basicaly an extension which lets you 'lock' a VA which tells the driver it can cache the infomation if it wants coz it wont be changing until you unlock it.

Promit, as to how you bind multiple streams, well it depends on how you do it, ARB_vertex_blend is one way and how its done with a Vertex Program is API specific so you'd have to look up how to pass per vertex attributes to your API of choice [smile]
CVA = compiled vertex array
VBO = vertex buffer object

any other silly acronym questions that IRC would've answered in five seconds? [wink]

Anyway...how does one bind multiple streams in GL?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement