Question about perspective

Started by
4 comments, last by twix 19 years, 9 months ago
There is no easy way to develope a game. I find myself the one in many who want to do this. I am looking for info on 3D engines, something I can play with and mod at my own leisure. I want it to be a 3rd person perspective, like diablo, dungeon siege, etc. But I want it to be more like what I would see in a RTS game - zoomed out. I'm ideally looking for an engine near that of Empire Earth or some of the same 3d games with an isometric feel. Any ideas?
Advertisement
well, ill be the first one to say, you have to give more info. what kind of programming experiance do you have? if your a complete newb with no programming experiance, dont even bother touching a 3d engine. you wouldnt know what to do with it. start small, making console programs in C++ or the language of your choice. you cant just jump into 3d games, it could take years....

if your not a complete beginner, as for engines, i believe the "FAQ" on this forum has a list of them, since that is a very frequently asked question =)

EDIT: actually, it deosnt have a list. why not ? =)
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Here's a list of free, generic 3D rendering (and other things, in most cases) engines that I am aware of: OGRE, Axiom (C#), Irrlicht, Genesis 3D, Torque, Crystal Space.

Note that none of these actually does exactly what you want. You'd have to add the Empire Earth-esque mechanics yourself. But after all, beggars can't be choosers. [grin]
Well, you're right I wouldn't know what to do with a 3d engine. And I would rather not have to learn how to program (more)... I use python, which is almost laughable.

The programming experience I have is dismal. I use python, because it is very easy to program for. I use PHP. I haven't touched C++ in a while, and last time I did it was a nightmare.... I'm looking for that secret to unlocking the cryptic and poorly explained secrets of that language. I'm fed up of reading these programming books that do a wonderful job of covering everything, explaining somethings and relating nothing.

I consider myself a designer (And who doesn't now days, so that statement holds about as much water as an upside-down cup; Anyone can write on the bathroom walls if they have a marker and the free time.)

None the less, as a 'designer' I need to know what to avoid, so I make efforts to know what's out there and what evils I should avoid. I think the best path for me to take is to avoid any free engines for legal reasons atleast and get my preliminary design out of the way.

So now what I'm really looking for is design resources.

I have a bit more experience with Linux than with programming itself. From programming comes my python based random name generator. It is not a segment/ syllable based selector..it generates coherent phonetically correct names (95% of the time :) ).
Well, if you just want fun, 3rd person action that you can code with Python, then look up Freedom Force. Freedom Force was a real-time 3rd person adventure-rpg (kind of a mix between Diablo and X-Com) based on superheroes. It was also based on Python script. If the engine is moddable enough (I know there was a lot of custom characters and stuff, don't know if you could make TCs) then maybe that engine is what you're looking for. Ain't free though.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Quote:Original post by Jadaro
Well, you're right I wouldn't know what to do with a 3d engine. And I would rather not have to learn how to program (more)... I use python, which is almost laughable.

There's nothing wrong with Python, except that it takes some effort to get C++ libraries working with it. I think there's a Python binding for OGRE in the works, though...
Quote:
None the less, as a 'designer' I need to know what to avoid, so I make efforts to know what's out there and what evils I should avoid. I think the best path for me to take is to avoid any free engines for legal reasons atleast and get my preliminary design out of the way.

Legal reasons? AFAIK, all of the free engines I mentioned above are LGPL, which is about as free of legal issues as free source code comes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement