Sign in to follow this  
iNsAn1tY

Ask a stupid question...

...get a stupid answer, as the old saying goes. Anyway, here's my stupid question: where do I get the Max SDK for 3DS Max 6? I've been looking into writing an exporter to avoid using the *.3ds format, but I need the header files in the MAXSDK folder to compile my project. I downloaded the trial version of 3DS Max 6, hoping to find the MAXSDK folder, but it's not there. I assume I need the full version. Can anyone confirm this?

The SDK is included on the 3DS MAX 5 CD so it's probably on the version 6 cd too. I've just played around a little bit with the SDK and it seems to be simple, powerfull and really well done.

Right, well, I'll have save up £100 and get a student version of 3DS Max 6 if I want the Max SDK then. For the time being, I'll probably stick with *.3ds files, unless I can get the *.xsi format up and running (it looks like an *.ase file, ASCII encoded, but with a lot more information)...

This is crazy, everyone seems to be looking into the exact same stuff as me at the exact same time. I too have been looking for that stuff, and as far as i know the max sdk can be obtained from their website i wish i had a link right now, ill post it later (its like the developer part of their website or soemthign) all you need is a free account (as far as i know)
-Dan

got it:
sparks.discreet.com

only problem is, though i heard that it is in there, i havent been able to find where the file description is, This thread said that it was a good place to start, though having just downloaded the sdk documentation, im not seeing it, anyone whos done this, your help would be appreciated
-Dan

Quote:
Original post by Ademan555
This is crazy, everyone seems to be looking into the exact same stuff as me at the exact same time.

I get that all the time. I was researching scene graphs this week and last. I come into the Game Programming and OpenGL forums Monday, and what do I find? Three new posts on scene graph management and construction. Weird.

Anyway, I too have been looking around the sparks.discreet.com website, but I haven't been able to find the SDK. I think it's strictly distributed with 3DS Max. I don't think Discreet want everyone getting their hands on it (although to be quite honest, I can't think why).

Softimage, on the other hand, seem very eager to get their dotXSI format into the public domain. I've been playing around with the 3DS Max 6 dotXSI exporter this evening, and it seems to be very, very good. The ASCII version of the file format (it comes in binary too, for better compression) is similar to that of *.ase, but it contains a lot more information. Plus, it preserves links and object hierarchies (I did a quick test with three linked boxes). There's also Softimage's FTK, which you use in your projects to extract mesh information from dotXSI files. I'm not sure how well animation and other more advanced features are handled (or even if they're handled at all), but from what I've seen, it looks to be an excellent alternative to other file formats for static mesh data. Plus, Half-Life 2 is using Softimage|XSI as it's modeller of choice, so it must be capable of matching the credentials of 3DS Max and Maya, at least in some areas. You can find info on the FTK and the dotXSI file format here: http://www.softimage.com/connect/xsi/.

I'm going to continue with it for a bit, see if it's any good. I'll post anything interesting here...

I suggest that you make sure that the SDK is included in the student license version before getting one. Student versions are usually stripped down and the SDK is probably one thing that can be excluded.

Well, if nothing else (i highly doubt its illegal, if it is, then forget i said anythign :-D) my friend has the full version of max 6, maybe he can give it to me and i could give it to anyone interested.
-Dan

3DS Max SDK is available from discreet website
Just navigate to download section...

Alternatively, here is the file you will find there:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax51_SDK.exe

Well here comes another stupid question down the pipeline:
Has the file format changed since then? Because my friend/artist uses 6.0 and the sdk is 5.x am i still ok? (guess not much i can do otherwise :-/)
thanks again
-Dan

edit: i think i need a drool bib or something, i cant get the download to work... i tried both your URL and clicking on it myself its not letting me download... anyoen else have that problem?

The link works perfectly for me...

Anyway, that's my bad... I thought you were looking for Max 5 SDK. I guess I dropped the ball when reading your post.

Though, The Max5 SDK could possibly work for building a plugin for 6, you will just miss out on some of the ew features, in theory anyway.

However, for just converting from .3ds to something else... Are not there free modeler programs you can use to import the 3ds and export to whatever else? If, however, you absolutely need to use max for the export, perhaps you could write a script using maxscript. OGRE uses a script to do the export, and maxscript works between many versions of Max.

Hmmm.... not what i expected from this, i expected more "heres the file format go do something with it" and id go build my own stand alone program to convert from *.3ds to my format (whatever i end up naming it) but hmm this complicates things :-/
thanks for helping
-Dan

If version 6 can take version 5 plugins, then you could give Flexporter a look. It's an exporter that saves prety much everything to an easy to parse text or binary format. You can then either load the file in your game directly or write a converter to strip out just what you want.

I had some success with it back on 3dsmax max 3 when I needed some data in a hurry (i.e. before the trial ran out).

Dan

Well, i was hoping to get it straight from the source, and all of the file loaders ive seen dont specify which version they correspond with, which doesnt help things, any specific link? of shoudl i go searching tommorow? thanks again
-Dan

edit: i still should consider that drool bib, i posted before i saw ur link, thank you very much

edit again: but wait... are there any more recent documentations or has it not changed since then? thanks
-Dan

Quote:
Original post by pjcast
3DS Max SDK is available from discreet website
Just navigate to download section...

Alternatively, here is the file you will find there:
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax51_SDK.exe

You, sir, have made my day.

I was thinking of using the SDK to create a few custom file formats: one for static meshes, one for keyframe-animated models, and another for vertex skinned models. I'd like to use a custom file format because I need to add things like placeholders (for emitters, lights and cameras) to the models. Plus, I don't like the fact that the documentation on the *.3ds format is incomplete. I might use *.xsi or *.3ds if it turns out that writing an exporter is too much work, and if the *.xsi file turns out to be good for static meshes.

Flexporter looks good, too. I'll download that and check it out...

Well, i must not have been looking very hard to begin with because right off the bat i found a pretty nice looking tutorial, though i dont know how accurate or up to date it is yet: http://www.spacesimulator.net/tut4_3dsloader.html have fun with it, and if you happen to run across an official description (and up to date) please tell me, oh and last but not least, has the format even been changing at all?
thanks
-Dan

edit: anotherthing came to my attention, need we worry about byte order with these formats? id hate to have all of my work be ruined by byte order, and destroy my code trying to fixthe problem, not knowing it was simply byte order