Setting up dual screens

Started by
4 comments, last by Palidine 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I was wondering how I could set up dual screens for my programming projects. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. What I want to do is run MSVC on one screen, and when I test a program (which is a fullscreen program), I want it to run on the other screen, so I can see debug information on the first screen. Is there a way to configure MSVC to do this? Thanks -Gauvir_Mucca
Advertisement
Assuming you have dual monitors already set up, you can put VC++ on the secondary monitor. All new windows appear by default on the primary monitor. I do this myself quite a bit, using hotkeys to move windows back and forth between monitors.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

When I do that, the 2nd monitor gets funky. While the program shows up on the 1st monitor fine, MSVC, which is on the 2nd monitor, gets shoved halfway off to the side, and I can't do anything with input, because it's tied up in the first monitor's program.

Any suggestions?
make sure you're running your program at the same resolution as you have your desktop set for and you won't have that problem. the window is getting shifted when your app sets the resolution to something different than the desktop. this just leads to funk in your windows positions. if you have your desktop maxed out and your game won't run at speed for that resolution, you can always run it windowed on the other monitor and save full screen for special bugs that only show up in full screen mode.

-me
Ok, I'm still having problems with the input. I can't play the game and use the mouse to fiddle with the debugger (like adding variable watches) at the same time. The game hogs the input until it shuts down.

Any suggestions?
have you tried ALT-Tabbing back to your debugger? that should free up the mouse. if it's not then you'll need to fix your WinProc method. or if you want to be lazy, make an escape key or something that's only active in a debug build which unhides and releases the mouse. you'll probably have something like that anyway for your load screen menu selection process.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement