Sign in to follow this  
EvilNando

Im Afraid to mess it up

hi folks i just recently finished my window framework for my first complete game... well the problem is im stuck because i dont know how to desing the rest, I would like to have all d3d stuff in a separate header than on the main application class same goes with my game objects (like the ball and paddle) but im not sure how to do this and im afraid to mess it all up to the point that i have to start all over any help¿?

just make sure you're keeping regular backups. my strategy has been to make daily .zip files of all my source and keep adding them to a CD. when CDs are full they just get filed away. that way, no matter what happens you're never more than a day behind. it's also a great strategy if you want to just tear things up to see how it would work with different wirings in your engine. just backup before you muck around and there's nothing to lose.

if you're really gung-ho, and even better, if you have a spare machine lying around, set up a CVS server so you can have source control on your project. then you can just check things out, break them to death and if you mess up, just revert the files and you've lost nothing again.

-me

Quote:

Mess it up. Plan to throw one away, goes an old saying. It's the best way to learn on your own, playing.

Damn I was afraid to hear that

well here I go

but thanks for the cold shower

cya

Code isn't solid gold; ideas are. Code can be rewritten for the same idea.

Back up what you have, and dive in. Find some tutorials on game engine design if you like.

No design should be so fragile that you're afraid to extend it.