Sign in to follow this  
deathtrap

[.NET] Book recommendations, need badly

Hi, I really need advice on which book to buy that will teach a LARGE deal of .net , with the code hopefully being in C#. I need a book about .NET, not about C#. I have a very limited amount of cash, just enough for 1 book, so I need to make very sure that I get one that will maximize every $ for knowledge.

Thanks a lot. Those were helpful. but I was wondering if there was anything more well rounded?
The first book focuses on windows forms. I was looking for something that could teach more than just that, such as but not limited to, windows forms, ado.net, threading, xml, and quite a few other things also. Basically i'm trying to learn as much about as many things in .NET as possible.

I've heard good things about the Deitel & Deitel books, and from reading the TOC, it seems they cover most of the areas you mentioned. They're expensive though(and I haven't read their C# book - only the Java and C++ ones).

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
I've heard good things about the Deitel & Deitel books, and from reading the TOC, it seems they cover most of the areas you mentioned. They're expensive though(and I haven't read their C# book - only the Java and C++ ones).

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the Deitel & Deitel book as well even tho' it's technically not what you asked for. The D&D books are expensive as they are designed to be college textbooks; however, in exchange for your cash they are going to give you a very good treatment of the entire C# language. I, also, have not used the C# book personally, but all their other books are good, so I find it hard to believe that this book would be the exception.

With regards to Mr. Richter's book... it's a very technical treatment of the .NET framework, you will never, ever learn to program using this book. The goal of Mr. Richter's book is not to teach you how to write a program in the .NET Framework, but how to "develop applications for the .NET Framework." The difference is subtle, his book assumes you know how to program in C++/C#/VB/whatever and goes on to teach you how to apply what you already know about programming to developing .NET applications. I would not recommend this book for the goal you are attempting to accomplish.

Another book for you to look at, however, is Introducing Microsoft .NET by David S. Platt. It covers .NET basics, ASP.NET, winforms, .NET data access, XML, events, threats, remoting and reflection and some other stuff. The book's code is all in VB, however the code is available in C# on the website. It seems to do what you want.

.NET/C# from my experience doesn't feature anything that warrents buying a book for it. Find out what you need and look at an example. I'm no .NET guru, either, it's just that I have two books (purchased with company money, mind you) that I was planning on using to write a remoting app and I always found the information I needed faster by googling it.

I think I ended up understanding .NET and C# much faster this way because I was actually USING it rather than reading all the crap these authors feel compelled to cram into their books, obfuscating anything useful that might have been in there.