What to do.

Started by
21 comments, last by Trebor 19 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I have ran out of ideas on what to program, so I can get experience in C++, I have no knowledge of graphics, and basic C++ programming skills, any suggestions on what I should program?
I wanna make a game.
Advertisement
Well, that depends; what kind of projects have you done before? What sort of things are you trying to learn? If you want to get into AI, for example, then writing a 3D graphics demo would probably not be the best place to start, but a text-mode simulation of ants finding their way through a maze would be great. It depends a bit on what you're interested in doing in the long run.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

You could always go for a text based RPG, or if you're feeling a bit daring you could learn SDL and code a 2D game. SDL is pretty easy to understand and I find that creating something graphical is better because people who don't know how to code will appreciate it more and will give you more encouragement.
Well, in the future I would like to write 3D games, and as I said, I have no knowledge of graphics in C++ yet... So learn SDL?
I wanna make a game.
Also, I have written a monster simulation (best program ever for me) and guessing games, stuff like that.
I wanna make a game.
SDL would be a good place to start, as would the Windows GDI. Both are fairly easy to get going with and have plenty of examples to look at. I'd suggest something like this:

• Do a simple point-and-click graphical TicTacToe game (2 player or with AI if you like)
  • Make a simple 2-player checkers game, and again if you like you can add a basic AI
  • Try something with animation (a simple arcade-style scroller, a side-shot fighting game, etc.)
  • When you are comfortable with 2D, start learning a graphics API (OpenGL or DirectX). Begin by doing "2D in 3D" to get a feel for working with textures, polygons, and so forth.
  • Move into 3D

Of course this will take a bit of time and a lot of patience; there's really no need to totally finish every single step or make all of them perfect, but the way to get experience is to do a lot of projects, so the more you can do, the better.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Ugh, this SDL code looks very very scary.
I wanna make a game.
I think you should try to make a pong clone with SDL.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
I will, as everyone else does, It just looks really intimidating to me right now... very scary, about what C++ looked like the first day I came here.
I wanna make a game.
Quote:Original post by Adam14
Well, in the future I would like to write 3D games, and as I said, I have no knowledge of graphics in C++ yet... So learn SDL?

You said that making 3D games is what you ultimately want to do. Therefore, just start learning to program 3D generating apps because there's really nothing to loose.

Programming graphics in CPP is like anything else you do in the language. Take the C++ standard library for instance. This "interface" allows you to manipulate strings, integers, etc. with ease. Thus, once you have learned C++ with it's procedural programming, object oriented programming, and generic programming features it's just a matter of learning the conventions/concepts that the coder(s) utilized to make a Graphics API such a DirectX.

Bottom line, if you're sick of learning the idiosyncrasies of CPP and want to get to your original goal of making a 3D game then dive right into it and live the journey. What else can you really do?
:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement