Skydome vs. GLUQuadrics

Started by
42 comments, last by MARS_999 19 years, 9 months ago
jakem3s90: Don't use fog, lighting or anything like that for skybox (or skydome).
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jakem3s90
The only thing I've noticed when using a Sky Box, is that when I start using fog in the scene, the corners have denser fog, since the the corners are farther from the camera, making it look like a "box", even though the textures are seamless.

The skybox is just used to create an illusion.There's no actual geometry in it,so you can't use GL fog.After all,the background textures are pre-rendered,so you can for example tell your artist to make background objects that are supposedly further from other objects look "foggier".I suppose with little experiment you can seamlessly mix that effect with the GL fog used on real objects.
Although there's another option.Apart from the 6 background textures,you can have another set of 6 textures that encode the xyz position of each background pixel,and the normals,assuming you can obtain that information.Maybe use floating buffers for that.That way,you can achieve real per-pixel lighting and fog even at the background.It will allow you to make cool lightning effects,for instance.Something similar to deferred shading.That won't work on pixels that represent sky,for instance,so I guess you will need alpha testing or something to shade only the pixels that belong to solid objects,like mountains or buildings.

You know that with lighting, fog, etc..., you can turn it off for certain polys. So draw the skybox(as a box) with none of that on, then turn it on and draw your scene. You'll get the skybox right, but the rest will still be fogged etc... And with seamless textures, you can't tell it's a box. About the camera, just translate the box to center on the camera always and it will look very far away always. Where you put the camera, just do the same translation.

What the hell are seamless textures and how to create them??
Cheers
Andy
textures without seems... [grin]
Basicaly, the idea is that when applied you cant tell where one texture starts and the other ends, like... well hung wall paper...
Har, yepp sometimes one really should take it literally.
Thanks anyway :-)
Cheers
Andy
The only thing I've noticed when using a Sky Box, is that when I start using fog in the scene, the corners have denser fog, since the the corners are farther from the camera, making it look like a "box", even though the textures are seamless.

Yeah, and I suppose it looks like a cube in wireframe mode too...

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Quote:Original post by benjamin bunny

You're mean.
Quote:Original post by benjamin bunny

[grin][grin][grin]

I have to remember this one...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
I guess I need to clarify what I want. I want to be able to do dynamic clouds across the sky and a skydome or skyplane I think is the only way to do that? Skyboxes just will not look right? Plus you can tile a texture for clouds on a skybox? and you end up using a very large texture to get good detail? Help set me straight if I am wrong on this??? Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement