Where to get good c++ compiler with IDDE, etc

Started by
7 comments, last by Krater107a 19 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone I'm new to this community and new to game programming. I'm looking for a good (free) c++ compiler. I need a compiler that will compile, link, and all that stuff as well as a compiler that lets me debugg code one line at a time. I currently have a compiler called "djgpp" and I can get it to do everything I need except debug code line by line. If anyone can help I would be very thankful. I'm pretty new to programming, I've had classes in C++, COBOL, Visual Basic, and Assembly.
Advertisement
Dev C++ is pretty good. http://www.bloodshed.net/
I wanna make a game.
try dev c++ here
also try microsoft compilers, you get free debugger aswell, but no ide.
Dev C++, or the beta of Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express.
*Smiles* Thank you everyone for all the help. I have just installed DevC++ as reccommended by popular demand and I just love it! I havent quite figured out how to decompile line by line but I do enjoy the windows environment.

Also I am relieved that all my homework examples from school seem to work fine. One problem I have encountered however is simple programs that just output text to the screen seem to run and terminate too fast for me to see the output.

-Krater

"I've taken about 10 programming classes in 3 years of college yet I still feel like I'm a complete noob when it comes to game programming. Anyone else out there in the same situation as me?"
That is with all console programs.

You can put a cin.get(); at the end of the output, or system("PAUSE");

Also, you can just run it from a seperate console window.

Good luck! [smile]
Write

system("PAUSE");

just before the 'return 0;' line at the end.
You can get the Microsoft Visual C++ Express Beta here.

It's pretty much fully functional, and better fleshed out than Dev-C++. It has an excellent debugging interface. It's also free to download, and as such I'm pretty sure the license doesn't allow you to commercially distribute anything you compile on it, but at your level, I doubt you need to anyway.

Also, as the others mentioned, to pause your program at the end, add the call
system("PAUSE");
to the end; make sure you
#include <stdlib.h>
first, though.

Good luck, cheers.
Once again I take my hat off to you people. I cant believe the rapid responces I'm getting to my post! This is great! I tried the system("PAUSE"); and it works just fine!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement