C# express

Started by
0 comments, last by alexmoura 19 years, 9 months ago
I've noticed that a beta verion of C# express is now availible. My main interest is in being able to use C# 2.0. Is there a downside to using a beta product like this to code? One concern I have is that it makes use of version 2.0 of the .NET framework, but that's going to cause me some deployability issues, isn't it? Also, I'm guessing that the compiler is also in the beta stage? I currently code in Visual Studio 2003.
Behold the nascent power of Semejant!
Advertisement
Well, mostly it's a Beta product - the C# compiler, the IDE and the frameworks version you'll be using are all Beta - If your interest is in learning what's new, it's as close to perfect as you'll get, but you really shouldn't be distributing programs that depend on a beta version of the frameworks - I'm honestly not sure how that'll work. In any case, expect bugs to pop up.

In principle, when the final version of Visual studio comes up, you should be able to projects created in these beta versions, correct errors due to changes or bug fixes during the finalization part of visual studio, and distribute the program.

Note that being a new version of the .net frameworks, it does mean that for a while there'll be less machines out there with it installed than the 1.0 and 1.1 versions, so unless you're distributing the frameworks installer along with your program you'll get the usual objections about having to also download the .net frameworks, which may stop some people from using your programs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement