Beginner using OpenGL/3D games.

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 9 months ago
Heya, first off I'd like to take the time to say 'hi' to everyone on the boards and thanks in advance for any help that I might get. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me get to my question. I've been using C++ for quiet some time now and I'm familiar with how to do the old school graphics in 320x200 using the plot a pixel method. I understand how the screen works with Open GL with the X,Y,Z Axis and how the depth buffer works. My question is, I'm wanting to create a simple 3D world. First starting with maybe a box and moving inside of that, then perhaps texture mapping the box and so on.. But the major question is, do you know any websites that would help me in learning where I can do this at. I've tried a few of the NeHe Tutorials, but some of the area's i'm just having trouble with 'why' you are doing this. I understand the concept, just need to know why this is called or what it does when you call a certain function. My first project I did on my own was to make a grid going to the horizon on the screen that looks like graph paper. Was a easy task to do this. Now i'm trying to figure out how you could possibly use the mouse to create cubes 'rooms' on the screen. I guess in a summary, I'm trying to find some help in Windows programming, as i'm used to the old dos stuff, and maybe a tutorial on some game programming issues. Thanks for the help, Brian
Advertisement
It seems as if you have the Unreal map editor or something like that in mind!?
That would be bad. The concept that you create an empty room in the world is abstract.
Better think about it as building a world by drawing triangles and quads where they belong.

I'd follow the first tutorials without trying to take a shortcut ...
you might want to relearn things that you think you know already.
Shouldn't take long and everything will hopefully make more sense soon.

Also check out the OpenGl tutorials at gametutorials.com
and read threads here and in the OpenGl forum to see how others approach things.
Writing errors since 10/25/2003 2:25:56 AM
If your gonna make a map editor mfc could really help you.
Ultimategametutorials.com could help you learn mfc(they also have opengl tutorials)
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by saxybrian
Heya, first off I'd like to take the time to say 'hi' to everyone on the boards and thanks in advance for any help that I might get. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me get to my question.

I've been using C++ for quiet some time now and I'm familiar with how to do the old school graphics in 320x200 using the plot a pixel method. I understand how the screen works with Open GL with the X,Y,Z Axis and how the depth buffer works. My question is, I'm wanting to create a simple 3D world. First starting with maybe a box and moving inside of that, then perhaps texture mapping the box and so on.. But the major question is, do you know any websites that would help me in learning where I can do this at. I've tried a few of the NeHe Tutorials, but some of the area's i'm just having trouble with 'why' you are doing this. I understand the concept, just need to know why this is called or what it does when you call a certain function. My first project I did on my own was to make a grid going to the horizon on the screen that looks like graph paper. Was a easy task to do this. Now i'm trying to figure out how you could possibly use the mouse to create cubes 'rooms' on the screen.

I guess in a summary, I'm trying to find some help in Windows programming, as i'm used to the old dos stuff, and maybe a tutorial on some game programming issues.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

If you are used to the old DOS stuff, I would STRONGLY recommend looking at SDL as a cross-platform abstraction layer of the input/output and video stuff. It works pretty much like the DOS stuff; granted you don't have to call INT 33h for the mouse and 13h for VGA, but it's the closest thing you'll find. You can find it for free at http://libsdl.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement