Best type of game to program first

Started by
32 comments, last by Unwise owl 19 years, 9 months ago
When starting game programming, three languages come to mind. VB,
C++, C#.Net. My preference would be VB but others might disagree and favor C++ or C#.
What is the opinion of the group ?
Also, in a first course, should OpenGL be included ?

TIA
bobbyp
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bobbyp
When starting game programming, three languages come to mind. VB,
C++, C#.Net. My preference would be VB but others might disagree and favor C++ or C#.
What is the opinion of the group ?
Also, in a first course, should OpenGL be included ?

TIA
bobbyp

My opinion? Don't let VB come to mind :)

Seriously, I don't know why someone would want to program a game in VB other than a simple puzzle game. I actually ran across a site yesterday which was a project page for a VB MMORPG.

I'm not trying to be an ass, as I was a VB lover for a long time. The appeal is that you can drag and drop stuff. In a game, you'd start to see things during "development-time". Mostly the UI, and some blank spots for buffers. Other than that you still need to write a lot of underlying code.

If you love the windows format so much, then you could simply use MFC. Visual Studio even has an interface where you can drag and drop just like VB. For a game though, you wouldn't be doing much of that so I DONT recommend it.

So you want to visualize as your designing? Simply make your own tools where you can drag bitmaps, events, etc. It's much more rewarding and a lot faster. Believe it or not, I think it's easier with C++.
a pong game would be simple enough to do
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
a pong game would be simple enough to do

Why is it that anonymous posters never read the full thread?
I am making my first proper game, Rock Paper Scissors 3D, but I have been making my engines for ages now. My only other game was Shooter where you have a tiny picture of a person then shoot them or blow them off. 2D in VB 6. Oh yes, and Rock Paper Scissors 2D, again in VB 6. Look at my sig. for what I am doing now.
Quote:Original post by Yamian
Level 1: Pong
Level 2: Blocks/Tetris
Level 3: Board or Card Game
Level 4: Arkanoid
Level 5: Side scroller
Level 6: Turn Based RPG
Level 7: Tactical/Stratagy
Level 8: everything else

I really like your list, but I think you need to add more types of games; especially for level 2 and 4 because we already have to many Arkanoid and Tertris games.

I wrote Missile Command in Java, basically from scratch, and I didn't even know the language. I sure it could be added somewhere below level 5? Alson, the space invader / galaxian style games comes to mind. And where would you place Pac Man?
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
I would like to code my first game and don't know any idea about how to start writing a game engine in a neat OO design. But I am pretty decent with C++/Java & OpenGL. I have been following this thread and would like to start my hand on Pong/Tetris to kick-off my interest.

Now I am faced with 2 main things::

1) Programming Language :: People say C# is going to rule the next generation. Do I need to start with C# or go with C++/Java as I want this interest very much useful towards my future?.

2) Game Engine :: Various components of developing this and how to start with and where.

Update me!! thanks for your suggestions on my interest.

~ Matt
The first game I made was a simple text-based RPG that I wrote in PASCAL when I was 14 or so.

My next gaming project was a simple (VERY simple...) first person shooter I made using C++ and D3D 7 when I was 16. I've since lost the source, which kind of pisses me off...but oh well.

My current project is a full-scale strategy engine for both real time and turn-based games. I'm still working on the editor, because I just can't seem to stop thinking of cool features to implement.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Quote:Original post by taurean
Now I am faced with 2 main things::

1) Programming Language :: People say C# is going to rule the next generation. Do I need to start with C# or go with C++/Java as I want this interest very much useful towards my future?.
Update me!! thanks for your suggestions on my interest.

~ Matt

Matt,

In my opinion C# is not going to rule anything until there is a new version of DirectX released. That said, based on my information the XBox 2 is still going to be more or less based on DirectX 9. However, if it is your first game and your making something small I see no reason why you could start with C#; as long as your willing to invest in a book or two.

Also, you may want to take a look at some of the rendering engines; I haven't had much of a chance to dig into any of them; but ORGE caught my eye.

Lastley, do yourself a favor and write pong for the experience before you decide to create a massive game that requires a larger team. Just my current thoughts...
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
thanks for your replies.

Probably, I forgot to mention my intention, more than developing the games, I would like to understand the design/software development put in behind in developing a game.

Hence, with my strengths on programming, I would like to continue onto the same and would like to create a simple engine myself. Thatzwhy, would like to start with Tetris that probably requires a collision routine (that improve my Math :), would like to come up with a extendible design so that i would enhance the routines whenever as the other projects require.

What I lack the most now ?? -- the routines that need to be created for a game...doing a google search on Tetris game source so that I would look onto its functionality and implement a design based on that.

Appreciate any reference detailing about how to start thinking off a game development interms of design/software development.

~ Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement