Visual Studio always rebuild my project! :(

Started by
32 comments, last by Zeblar Nagrim 19 years, 9 months ago
One of the files you modified may inadvertently include the some or all of the rest of your project. You might want to make sure you're making proper use of include guards. Also, you might not want to include everything in every file if nothing else works.
Advertisement
Mekekor: How do this program work? I don't think anything happens when I put it in a folder with files and click on it.
It's a console(command line) program. First put it in your windows folder. Then open up a console window in the folder where you want to use it enter touch [commands]. For example, touch *.* will set the timestamp of all the files in that folder to the current time. Run the program with no arguments to get the usage message.
Quote:Original post by Melekor
It's a console(command line) program. First put it in your windows folder. Then open up a console window in the folder where you want to use it enter touch [commands]. For example, touch *.* will set the timestamp of all the files in that folder to the current time. Run the program with no arguments to get the usage message.

OK, tried that didn't help :( Thanks anyway.
Quote:Original post by Verg
Have you tried creating a new empty project, and adding your current project files back into it? A very rough guess is that it's something to do with your project settings.

Yes I have.
Looks like dependency checking is your culprit. I'm not familiar with .NET myself (still prefer 6.0) but here's an article that might help you

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fservicedesks%2Fwebcasts%2Fen%2Fwc040502%2Fwct040502.asp
That is a article about "Moving Applications from Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Studio .NET". I don't think that can help me... Like I said, we are 4 people in the team, working with the same code and only I have this problem. I don't know what it is, evertyhing worked fine until yesterday. Maybe it's a virus that do strange thing with my computer clock? I have no more ideas now, so I try and reinstall Visual Studio (but I don't think that will help either because the problem is specific for just this project).
Hmm. Because from there I got:

To set this compiler option in the Visual Studio development environment

Open the project's Property Pages dialog box. For details, see Setting Visual C# Project Properties.
Click the Configuration Properties folder.
Click the Advanced property page.
Modify the Incremental build property.
Look in the build log after you have rebuilt the project. It sometime contain more information than is shown in the output window.

For example:
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\abc\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\def\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

It sometimes has the PRJ0041 error: "Cannot find missing dependency 'dependency' for file 'file'. Your project may still build, but may continue to appear out of date until this file is found."

It has probably something to do with the resources, are you using RC2-files? Check that the includes in them are correct and that the additional include directories are correct for resource files for the project.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
Quote:Original post by DesCr
Hmm. Because from there I got:

To set this compiler option in the Visual Studio development environment

Open the project's Property Pages dialog box. For details, see Setting Visual C# Project Properties.
Click the Configuration Properties folder.
Click the Advanced property page.
Modify the Incremental build property.

Modify to what? And how can this help me solve this problem?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement