Visual Studio always rebuild my project! :(

Started by
32 comments, last by Zeblar Nagrim 19 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by dalleboy
Look in the build log after you have rebuilt the project. It sometime contain more information than is shown in the output window.

For example:
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\abc\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\def\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

It sometimes has the PRJ0041 error: "Cannot find missing dependency 'dependency' for file 'file'. Your project may still build, but may continue to appear out of date until this file is found."

It has probably something to do with the resources, are you using RC2-files? Check that the includes in them are correct and that the additional include directories are correct for resource files for the project.

Thanks, but I have already looked in the buildlog... and guess what... no information to find :( And we use no .NET Resources or any other Visual Studio Resoureces what so ever. Thanks anyway...
Advertisement
Okey, I have now re-installed Visaul Studio.NET (and STLport)... and guess what... the problem still remains!!?? wtf...
Only one thing left to do... Reinstall windows XP.
I don't know if it's been mentioned.. too lazy to read I guess, but the problem is more than likely the fact that you are sharing files with other people.

Somebody else's machine has the date set incorrectly... so the properties of your source files need fixing. Look at every source file you shared and make sure that the modified date is not greater than your current clock time. If that is the case you'll need to modify the file or recreate it, then scold your teammember for not setting his/her time correctly.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
And that's not going to help. If it's only one project that does this, the problem lies with the project itself, not MSVS or Windows XP.

Now, every time you click the Build button, it rebuilds EVERYTHING or it just does a few files and then links? If it's the latter case, that's pretty much what it's supposed to do. It shouldn't do that when building a project in which you haven't changed anything since the last build, but if ANYTHING changes, even just a line of comments in a source file, it'll have to rebuild it.

And if you change something in a header file, it will rebuild all files that #include that file.

I'm almost certain there's a problem somewhere in the project file, or worst case the registry entries that might get made to accompany that project.

If it's the registry, then reinstalling Windows might fix it, I guess, but at great expense and inconvenience.

EDIT: And Schmedly covered the other possibility I had thought of. Try that, it's quite likely to be the problem.

-Auron
Quote:Original post by Schmedly
I don't know if it's been mentioned.. too lazy to read I guess, but the problem is more than likely the fact that you are sharing files with other people.

Somebody else's machine has the date set incorrectly... so the properties of your source files need fixing. Look at every source file you shared and make sure that the modified date is not greater than your current clock time. If that is the case you'll need to modify the file or recreate it, then scold your teammember for not setting his/her time correctly.

I have checked all files and no date is greater then my current clock time, so that's not the problem. Thanks anyway... It's something real strange.
Is it this project only, or other projects on your pc? What kind of project is it (lib, dll, exe...)? Does all of you have the same version of MSVC? Any source control software that might be messing with things?

I assume you have run through the program settings and project settings a thousand times... If not, then may the gods help you...

Maybe it's just the Y2K virus (hehehe)
--- Hellsp4wn ---AstralShadow | ScreamTech

VG Cats

Have you tried to create a new project, AND all new files (by copying and pasting the content from the old ones into the new ones)? Maybe one file has a messed up date, but somehow looks to be okay.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I have now reinstalled Windows XP and Visual Studio.NET 2003 and the problem reamin!!! Totally crasy! I don't know what to do next...
Yes it's a big project with over 200 classes and 12 diffrenct projects. Some of the project compile normally, but most dont. It take like 10 minues to compile the whole thing, and I must do this every time now becuase of this strange thing. We work via CVS. I have checked out the clean version that the 3 other members use. They DONT have this problem. All my other Visual Studio projects compile fine, only this one have this problem. Thanks for all help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement