Sign in to follow this  
Zeblar Nagrim

Visual Studio always rebuild my project! :(

Quote:
Original post by Schmedly
I don't know if it's been mentioned.. too lazy to read I guess, but the problem is more than likely the fact that you are sharing files with other people.

Somebody else's machine has the date set incorrectly... so the properties of your source files need fixing. Look at every source file you shared and make sure that the modified date is not greater than your current clock time. If that is the case you'll need to modify the file or recreate it, then scold your teammember for not setting his/her time correctly.

I have checked all files and no date is greater then my current clock time, so that's not the problem. Thanks anyway... It's something real strange.

Is it this project only, or other projects on your pc? What kind of project is it (lib, dll, exe...)? Does all of you have the same version of MSVC? Any source control software that might be messing with things?

I assume you have run through the program settings and project settings a thousand times... If not, then may the gods help you...

Maybe it's just the Y2K virus (hehehe)

Have you tried to create a new project, AND all new files (by copying and pasting the content from the old ones into the new ones)? Maybe one file has a messed up date, but somehow looks to be okay.

Yes it's a big project with over 200 classes and 12 diffrenct projects. Some of the project compile normally, but most dont. It take like 10 minues to compile the whole thing, and I must do this every time now becuase of this strange thing. We work via CVS. I have checked out the clean version that the 3 other members use. They DONT have this problem. All my other Visual Studio projects compile fine, only this one have this problem. Thanks for all help.

Then search your head off for a common thing among the projects that recompiles every time that doesn't occur in the rest.
Maybe they include some faulty header that is located somewhere else, like a third-party library or something.

Quote:
Original post by Agony
Have you tried to create a new project, AND all new files (by copying and pasting the content from the old ones into the new ones)? Maybe one file has a messed up date, but somehow looks to be okay.

Thanks, I will try that now with one of the projects...

Quote:
Original post by Hellsp4wn
Then search your head off for a common thing among the projects that recompiles every time that doesn't occur in the rest.
Maybe they include some faulty header that is located somewhere else, like a third-party library or something.

Good idé! I will try to do that. Thanks!

Yeee-hoo!!

I found the problem. It was wrong date on one of the files... but not a source file (like a cpp a header file or one of Visual Studios config files)... but on a lib file from my server that had wrong system time! I wasn't sure Visual Studio looked at those files to, but obviously it did :)

Thanks you all for the help!