Symbian SDK

Started by
15 comments, last by ibawt 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I´ve been around looking for a Symbian SDK. Sony erickson got one (UIQ) but it requires Code Warrior or C++ Builder X to run the system on a PC (an emulator). Does anyone knows any kind of SDK that have a free emulator or a free emulator that works with the UIQ? Anyway any suggestions about how to compile and run a Symbian Application on Windows or Linux is welcome. Thanks in advance []s Tulio C.
[]sTúlio Caraciolo
Advertisement
Hi!

go to forum.nokia.com, there you can download the nokia symbian sdk - there is an emulator and you can use visual c++ for programming.

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc

The Symbian SDK is based on the GNU development tools for ARM CPUs and can easily be used from the command-line instead of an IDE. You'll need to set up your own editor and make sure the paths are set accordingly, but even the emulator can be spawned from the command line.

The CodeWarrior support is there because most pros are already likely to have it, since CodeWarrior is one of the better tools for mobile development. (Their IDE is language-neutral, and also available for a number of other platforms.) CodeWarrior is also useful because it has a good debugger; the GNU tools can debug too, but it ain't pretty.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that, for gamedev, the Symbian emulator is all but useless: it uses the basic Win32 timer library to generate timer interrupts, which is particularly low-res at well under 20Hz. The actual Symbian hardware will generally run a timer at a much more useful 60Hz or higher, making it a better fit for inter-frame timing.

Symbian originally supported Visual Studio instead of CodeWarrior, but dropped this a while ago.

Hope this info is of use.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Quote:Original post by stimarco

Finally, it's worth mentioning that, for gamedev, the Symbian emulator is all but useless: it uses the basic Win32 timer library to generate timer interrupts, which is particularly low-res at well under 20Hz. The actual Symbian hardware will generally run a timer at a much more useful 60Hz or higher, making it a better fit for inter-frame timing.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

That is bad. I do not have I Symbian OS and money neither. So There's anyway?
My main objective is build a 3D graphics engine a mobile platform (Symbian or J2ME preferred) what are the options?
[]sTúlio Caraciolo
Hey Tulio,
I disagree that the emulator is totally useless.
If I understand correctly, you are very new to this field.
I would take the first month or so to get acquainted with the Symbian environment. There are numerous things to be learned, before jumping in to write a full 2D/3D engine.
For this end, the emulator is perfectly suitable.
Once you feel comfortable enough with the environment and you have a half decent design, you should start considering getting a real device.
I for one, do 80% of my work on the emulator, and just use the device to test actual performance.

I don't know where you are from, but these devices are not THAT expensive, and I know they are practically given away through some mobile carriers in europe (when joining a 3 year plan).

G'luck.
Adi.
_________ Evious Ltd.
FYI, if you download the UIQ Borland C++ SDK, then it will work fine with visual C++, including creating the VC++ project files for you.
The Symbian SDK includes a command line utility to create workspaces and project files for Visual Studio. It's use is as simple as

(in your Symbian OS project folder)C:\>abld makefile vc6

Well in fact, you have to perform some additional steps but at least you save the pain of having to create a workspace from the ground.

However, when using the VS IDE, some tasks such as creating the .sis packages still have to be done through the command line. Codewarrior or another "specialized" IDE are easier at the beginning.
Quote:Original post by adiash
Hey Tulio,
I disagree that the emulator is totally useless.
If I understand correctly, you are very new to this field.
I would take the first month or so to get acquainted with the Symbian environment. There are numerous things to be learned, before jumping in to write a full 2D/3D engine.
For this end, the emulator is perfectly suitable.
Once you feel comfortable enough with the environment and you have a half decent design, you should start considering getting a real device.
I for one, do 80% of my work on the emulator, and just use the device to test actual performance.

I don't know where you are from, but these devices are not THAT expensive, and I know they are practically given away through some mobile carriers in europe (when joining a 3 year plan).

G'luck.
Adi.

Adi, I must expressed myself wrong. I really did not want to say that the emulator is totally useless.

I am really new in Symbian Programming. I am an undergraduated student and I've been working as research assistant in CG field most focused on Real-Time Rendering. I am confortabla about C/C++ OpenGL programming and have some academic experience with J2ME - MIDP.

I first tried to do this machine in J2ME but it seems to be impossible due to my deadlines. I've saw a JSR about a 3D API for J2ME but as far as I know it does not have been implemented yet. So I decided to do it for Symbian (If possible with OpenGL ES).

In Brazil a "symbian PDA" is quite expensive. So no way to buy, at least for now.

All the replies to this topic is being very useful. So I am going to continue...

Is there any emulator to Symbian - OpenGL ES?

Thanks.

[]s
[]sTúlio Caraciolo
Quote:Original post by Zaelsius
The Symbian SDK includes a command line utility to create workspaces and project files for Visual Studio. It's use is as simple as

abld makefile vc6

Well in fact, you have to perform some additional steps but at least you save the pain of having to create a workspace from the ground.

Not many additional steps. Before this do

bldmake bldfiles

After that

abld build wins udeb

per any resource change. Don't forget to do it if you change MBM file - vc project don't see changes like that. Also keep in mind that default VC project compile to disk Z, not C/E. Can be a hassle if you are reading/writing files from app directory.
(my post before) Also about simulator - for me 90% work is on simulator.I do playtesting only on device. Device-only bugs are quite few and easy to catch even without on-device debugging (of cause if it's a single bug, that is why I do on-device testing after every day-worth coding) Timer is not a prolem at all - I'm ajusting it so the game running 1/2 of realtime on the simulator, if I have to check if animation smooth enough.

About OpenGL ES. There is no phone sold with hardware implementation, and about software 3d - I'm a strong supporter of in-house 3d engine. Ther is a lot of game-specific triks which can improve 3d performance a lot, but which can be done only if you can change rendering algorithm.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement