Sign in to follow this  
Jamaludin

Creating the illusion of high detail, how ?

Jamaludin    151
This may be a confusing question, but im gathering info about all the subjects relating to making an 3d realtime application. I was thinking about graphics programming specificly, and since the introducing of normal maps, more possibilities arise.. What my questio was : how many tricks are there behind the sleeve to push out the max in graphic detail in a 3d real time game application ? - Normal maps, which reduce the polygon count drasticly. - Silhouttee faking, thus rendering only what you see disabling the rest of the objects that are not visible on screen. - ? Are there more of these things that reduce the usage of memory and computer requirements drasticly and effectively ? Thanks for your interest I am eager to hear some responses from more experienced persons then me...

ApochPiQ    23063
Normal mapping, LOD, mesh simplification (which is really a pre-process step), old-school hacks like billboarding and all of its variations, and mipmapping are all that I can think of off the top of my head. Of course you can also get into things like texture compression, lightmapping (or better, spherical harmonics) for storing lighting information, and so on.

mbrown211    132
Quote:
Original post by Jamaludin
This may be a confusing question, but im gathering info about all the subjects relating to making an 3d realtime application.

I was thinking about graphics programming specificly, and since the introducing of normal maps, more possibilities arise..

What my questio was : how many tricks are there behind the sleeve to push out the max in graphic detail in a 3d real time game application ?

- Normal maps, which reduce the polygon count drasticly.
- Silhouttee faking, thus rendering only what you see disabling the rest of the objects that are not visible on screen.
- ?

Are there more of these things that reduce the usage of memory and computer requirements drasticly and effectively ?

Thanks for your interest I am eager to hear some responses from more experienced persons then me...

So let me get this straight, you're asking how many ideas and tricks have been invented in this entire field of study?
Thousands, tens of thousands probably.

Or are you asking for more general techniques? like..
(a) trading memory for computation (i.e. lookup tables)
(b) doing many things at once so they get done faster (paralellization)
etc...

for which there are probably under 100.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by mbrown211
So let me get this straight, you're asking how many ideas and tricks have been invented in this entire field of study?
Thousands, tens of thousands probably.

Or are you asking for more general techniques? like..
(a) trading memory for computation (i.e. lookup tables)
(b) doing many things at once so they get done faster (paralellization)
etc...

for which there are probably under 100.

Thanks for all the replies,

indeed I did not ask it very smartly, ofcourse ghehe I dont want to know the 1001 tricks for doing it, but just like you said mbrown211 the process of doing many things at once so they get done faster, and ofcourse some tricks that are used the most often ? So far thanks for all the input and I hope for more....