Sign in to follow this  
JohnSKX

Copyright and Chapter 11

JohnSKX    122
Suppose that a ‘company’ published a game long ago and now exercise chapter 11, does it mean the copyright of the materials such as image and sound are not longer valid? That is, do I get into trouble if I use images or sounds from a game of that company? Thanks

SiCrane    11839
IANAL, but from what I understand, intellectual property assets are usually transfered to other parties in the case of chapter 11, either to a liscensor or directly to a creditor. In general, if a company goes under, then the only difference is that you won't know who will take you to court if you violate the IP instead of knowing exactly who will sue you.

pjcast    311
When a company goes through bankruptcy, I'm sure you can bet that all assets worth anything have been given to somebody. And that would include copyrights.

Sneftel    1788
And even if the IP assets weren't transfered, it's important to note that chapter 11 bankruptcy does not cause the corporation involved to cease to exist. They'd still hold them.

There are exactly two ways for a copyrighted work to pass into the public domain: for the copyright holder to explicitly place the work in the public domain, and for the copyright to expire.