[java] A screenshot of my java 3d engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Koroljov 19 years, 9 months ago
I just created a screenshot of my java 3d engine (in pure java): The ground and the houses (and the trees) are rendered once. A z-buffer is filled. Using this z-buffer, NPCs can be rendered in realtime. (this is currently not the case). The trees are rendered using some fractal algorithm (I don't seem to uderstand lindenmayer systems very well, if anyone knows a tutorial, please tell me). The ground uses multitexturing.
Why do my programs never work on other computers?
Advertisement
thats awsome!! I am tring to get into 3D programming right now..do you know of any good books or tutorials thatd be helpfull in learning 3D programming?

Do you mean that you render this scene once and then let the player/npcs interact with the rendered scene afterwards using the zbuffer, i.e. the view won't change until you are leaving this screen?
Anon: Most books that would deal with getting you started with 3D programming are written with C/C++ users in mind. However, if you want to learn about Java 3D programming, you can start with Sun's tutorials.
Looks quite good. How long does the initial render take (especially the trees, which I assume are made up of quite a few polygons)?
Yeah i was the anon poster, i keep assuming im loged in when im not..oh well

Thanks for the link, the tutorial looks pretty helpful!
EgonOlsen: Yes you're right.
Matei: I've "counted" the points of one of the trees. It contains 138856 points. Each tree doesn't take more than 1/2 second to render. (I plan to make an option to change the iteration depth, so that the trees can be rendered with less polygons but much faster).
Why do my programs never work on other computers?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement