• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Polygon count

This topic is 4977 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making some models for my game, what is a reasonable polygon count? There will be quite a few of some models (eg; trees, boulders) and only a few of the more complex models (vehicles) .. I plan on using the MD2 model format as it seems relatively easy to load. My modelling skills are probably what you'd expect from a programmer, does anyone happen to know a good set of tutorials for milkshape?

Advertisement
It really depends on what your engine is capable of, and on how many objects you're expecting to be rendering at a time - which depends on the type of game you're developing.

There's some reasonably good tutorials on the milkshape homepage ISTR.

Ahh well I didn't think about it but I am rendering a height map and my engine is handling it with ease, there is no way my model poly count is as high as the height map.

for the tries You may consider using the Bilboarding Technique. Also very important is to use good method of reducing invisible objects.
Object can also have changing level of details depending on the distance from viewer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement