Cannot get C++ polymorphism working with angelscript

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 9 months ago
I've been using WIP#4, and cannot get even the base class working. Here's what I'm doing;

// C++

// in Mesh.h
class Mesh
{
public:
  Mesh();
  virtual Render();
  virtual ~Mesh();
  // Assume overloaded "=" and "new" operators.
};
// end of Mesh.h

// in game.cpp
map<string, list<kee2d::Mesh *> > g_meshes; // Global meshes.
// usage: g_meshes["background"].push_back(pDogMesh);

// Function to be used in the script.
void AddMeshX(const char **layer, const Mesh &mesh)
{
  const char *l = *layer;
  Mesh *pMesh = new Mesh(mesh);
  g_meshes[l].push_back(pMesh);
}

void RegisterGame // Register functions for AngelScript.
{
  engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void AddMeshX(const bstr &, const Mesh &)", asFUNCTION(AddMeshX), asCALL_CDECL);
}
// end of game.cpp

// in Script.
void main()
{
  Mesh mesh;
  AddMeshX("foreground", mesh);
}
This causes a crash, but I do not know how to make the object in the script become a pointer. Also, now that WIP#5 is available do I still need to overload the new operator? How can I have it like engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void AddMeshX(const bstr &, Mesh *)", asFUNCTION(AddMeshX), asCALL_CDECL); Note the "Mesh *" and assume AddMeshX(const char **, Mesh *)
Advertisement
You didn't say how you register the mesh type. I assume you do the following:

engine->RegisterObjectType("Mesh", sizeof(Mesh), asOBJ_IS_COMPLEX);

asOBJ_IS_COMPLEX is a new flag for WIP5. It should be used to tell AngelScript that the object in C++ is using either constructor, destructor, or assignment operator. This is important when registering functions that return objects of this type since C++ often treat these objects differently than normal values. The opposite is asOBJ_IS_NOT_COMPLEX.

Since your object needs a constructor you ought to register one with AngelScript as well.

engine->RegisterTypeBehaviour("Mesh", asBEHAVE_CONSTRUCT, "void f()", asFUNCTION(ConstructMesh), asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST);void ConstructMesh(Mesh *empty){  // Call the constructor to initialize the memory  new(empty) Mesh();}void *Mesh::operator new( unsigned int, void *mem ) {   return mem; }

Note, that if your C++ class doesn't need to call the constructor you don't have to register this behaviour.

The destructor would be registered in a similar way, however the function could call the destructor directly with ~Mesh().

Once you have the mesh object registered you can register functions that use that type.

AngelScript doesn't have an operator for taking the address of a variable, but I don't think you have to. If you want your function to receive a pointer to the object, you can register the function to take a reference, but have the C++ function receive the reference as a pointer.

engine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void AddMeshX(const bstr &, const Mesh &)", asFUNCTION(AddMeshX), asCALL_CDECL);void AddMeshX(const char **layer, const Mesh *mesh);

I'm not sure I understood what your question really was. Tell me if what I said help you.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement