2D tile engines in assembly?

Started by
24 comments, last by Luctus 19 years, 7 months ago
hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of any 2D tile engines in ASM? prefurably masm... Thank you for the help :D
--------------[Nico Projects]
Advertisement
What's the point? Are you programming for a 386?
the point is i like programming in asm alot more than c or c++ ;)
do you like to waste your time?
i guess so, but i mean if ur just going to ridicule me for my choice o programming language dont bother, its been done.
So why not just write one yourself?
This involves a lot of programming.
Yeah, there are tutorials for using OpenGL with ASM so if you use that you can do a tile engine with it I think :)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
thanks,
i cant make one myself atm because this is my first one and i wouldnt know where to start.
I didnt know how many tuts for opengl there are (i keep hearing directx :P )

thanks a bunch.
Try nehe.gamedev.net 's tutorials, some of them also comes with an assembly source (MASM). That should get you started. Maybe you can get some help by looking at the Hostile Encounter 2D RTS game. It's written entirely in assembly (MASM to be exact), but I don't know how much that'll help you.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
Quote:Original post by robinei
What's the point? Are you programming for a 386?

This was the funniest thing Ive read all day! Why would he have to code on a 386 because he's coding in ASM? For your information Athlons and P4's still benefit from hand written assembly optimizations just as much as a 386 did, you just have to know how and where to use it.

This of course does not apply if all you are doing is letting a 3D Api render models for you, but this is of course cheating ;)

to Njkt - If you are comfortable with ASM, just look at all the tile based tutorials out there for C/C++ and convert to ASM yourself. Should be fun, good luck!
Don't we all still remember and miss the day we plotted our first pixel?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement