Visual Studio 8...big problem

Started by
8 comments, last by phlaz 19 years, 9 months ago
Hey, I'm having a big problem with the new visual studio 8. It keeps saying all of the include libraries (such as windows.h, windowsx.h, etc) don't exist and cannot find them. Why is this? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
It's still in beta; there is no windows.h.
so I can't code my program in the beta version?
I'm not sure as I don't use Visual Studio at all, but if you have an older version maybe you could add the directory for includes and libs from the old one in the new one. Like if the originals were stored in C:\Program Files\Visual Studio\Includes and C:\Program Files\Visual Studio\Libs then just set up the IDE to compile with those directories. And as I don't use VS I couldn't tell you how. Also, those example directories I gave are probably wrong because, again, I don't use VS (or Windows for that matter).

Mark

The correct thing to do is to download the Platform SDK from the MSDN site, and install that, and point the compiler at it.

You should be doing that with the older compilers, too; the version of the PSDK that they initially come with often goes obsolete and crufty pretty quickly.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by demonrealms
so I can't code my program in the beta version?

I don't know how compatible old version of windows.h to this compiler. You can try it as Minion and hplus suggested.

But I don't think the reason why Microsoft releases this beta IDE is so that you can code your program or using it as your primary IDE. After all, Microsoft is focusing on the development of .NET Framework and this beta serves this purpose. It comes with .NET Framework 2.0 beta. Obviously it is for the testing of the new .NET Framework.
Yes, get the SDK. That's what I did, and it works just fine (at least, I've not run into any problems yet).
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
The correct thing to do is to download the Platform SDK from the MSDN site, and install that, and point the compiler at it.

You should be doing that with the older compilers, too; the version of the PSDK that they initially come with often goes obsolete and crufty pretty quickly.

How do you point VS at a different version of the Platform SDK??
options | projects | directories
Ahhh, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement