Compiling to x86?

Started by
5 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 9 months ago
Hey Would it be even remotely possible to compile the scripts to x86 assembly instead of bytecode? Maybe using some runtime assembler such as SoftWire? (softwire.sf.net) I'm not saying you should implement that now, I'm just wondering how far off it'd be. :) /Anders Stenberg
Advertisement
I think it would be possible. The internal bytecode is already ASM-like, so you could probably do it. You will probably have to write some "wrapper" functions for certain functionality though.

A JIT would certainly be an enormous performance boost if done properly.
I talked to Dentoid on IRC about this... and now i am tempted to try :) Time will tell (have some other stuff to do too ;)

From looking at the bytecode-format etc it shouldn't be _that_ hard.. although one is always optimistic before trying :)

-Mårten
I thought the same when I started writing the bytecode saving functions, but I hit a wall at this point. Things always turn out more difficult than you imagine because of little problems.
I also have plans to do this in the future. Though I myself won't be doing it for a long time yet, because AngelScript is still evolving a lot between releases. If any of you are willing to do it, and you manage to find a solution that is relatively independent of changes to the library I will be more than willing to include it in the official library.

If you need to have some changes made to the library to be able to do what you want, don't hesitate to tell me and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

That goes for you as well, Gyrbo, with the save/load bytecode feature you're working on.

I'm very grateful for the interest you all have in improving the library, and I hope we will all be able to take advantage of what you're doing.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I am extremely thankful to Andreas for developing AS, i would like to see it go far off, maybe take on the big ones like LUA and Python. I am planning to establish some sort of funding and development program to ensure this happens, once I stabilize my work. hopefully that should happen sooner than later.

****** 2 THUMBS UP FOR ANDREAS ****** (thanks dude)
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
Thank you very much, Jayanth, for those appraising words.

---
Everyone,

I would be very happy if I could make some regular money working on AngelScript. That would definitely allow me to spend more time on it.

When I started working on AS, one and a half years ago I was playing with the thought of selling licenses but I soon realised that if the library would ever be used it would have to be free, since most other scripting libraries are. I was dreaming, but wasn't sure I could really believe that my library would one day be able to compete with the big guys out there. But your support and interest in my library is every day increasing my belief in the changes for AngelScript and my inspiration to work on AngelScript continues to grow.

My financial situation prevents me from putting much time on the library though. I'm not saying that I'm poor. I have a good day job and I manage to pay my bills, but it's been years since I've been able to upgrade my computer for example. To be able to improve my situation I do extra projects which unfortunately takes time from AngelScript.

I'm sorry to say that this is the situation right now. I've just started a project that will take me 2-3 months to finish, during this time the development on AngelScript will be at a minimum. I'm sorry, because there are so many new features that I wanted to be able to release in the next few weeks, now they will be delayed until perhaps November. I also have chances to get yet another project right after this one, which would delay AngelScript even more.

I would very much like to put AngelScript on top priority, but I have to think of my family first. I don't like to ask for your money, but if you like my work then consider giving me your support. It will benefit yourself as well as me.

Thank you all for your interest in AngelScript and your continued support.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement