Abit KG7 + Albatron 5600EP == zilch?

Started by
7 comments, last by mattnewport 19 years, 9 months ago
So I finally got a semi-decent video card for my computer, an Albatron 5600EP. When I plug it in to my computer (with an Athlon 1400 on an Abit KG7) on boot I get the beep code for "no video card detected". My older video card (GF2) still works on that mobo just fine. And the 5600EP works fine when plugged into a mobo at work. Any idea what about this combination might cause problems?
Advertisement
What I would try is resetting the CMOS jumper on the mobo to clear out all of the BIOS information about your previous setup.
"What are you trying to tell me? That I can write an O(N^2) recursive solution for a 2-dimensional knapsack?" "No, programmer. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to." -Adapted from "The Matrix"
Tried resetting settings, no luck. Any other ideas?
You could also put your old card back in, flash your bios, and try putting in the new card again. Some mobos have combatibility settings with newer video cards in their older BIOS revisions.
"What are you trying to tell me? That I can write an O(N^2) recursive solution for a 2-dimensional knapsack?" "No, programmer. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to." -Adapted from "The Matrix"
Do as eleusive says and flash your mobo to the latest bios. Also make sure you have all the correct AGP settings in bios. Finally, be aware that some gfx cards need the booster power supply cable, and if they don't have this, they may not boot up. Check if yours needs it.
Thanks for the ideas. There's a BIOS patch that references the Radeon 9700, so I think I'll try that.
Not sure about that board but it might be worth setting the AGP to 4x in Bios before changing cards over. Your GF2 will be a 2x card and looking at the age of the MB it probably defaults to this. Different power levels for 4x, worth a try.

Jay
A rule of thumb I try to follow is to make sure any old video drivers are uninstalled first before plugging in a new card.

Other than that, do as others have suggested - try futzing around with your BIOS settings and see what you can come up with.
Older AGP implementations don't always supply enough power to the AGP slot for newer video cards. As others have suggested, if you have an additional power connector on the video card try connecting that. If you don't you might be out of luck - your motherboard might not be able to supply the necessary juice to power the card.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement