C++

Started by
5 comments, last by daviangel 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I am about to buy a C++ book, and Im torn between "Beginning C++ Game Programming" from Premier Press or "C++ primer plus" fom SAMS. The former seems to get you into game programming quickly, and the primer plus seems to be a more comprehensive book. In you guys opinion, is the first adequate? Or should I go for Primer Plus and use that before trying games? I want to start on games as soon as possible, but my experience (such that it is) tells me to learn C++ fully first... Thanks.
Check out my first game here.
Advertisement
Sorry, I dont know which of that book is better, but I encourage You to read "Think in C++" by Bruce Eckel.

The book is free!! Just visit:
MindView

You can also download second part of that book.

"Think in C++" is belived to be one of the best books for learning C++.

Just Try...

Se my programming blog: Code and Graphics

OK Thanks.
Check out my first game here.
TICPP is free for download, but my experience is that I never learnt the basics from anything downloded from internet. I always need to buy a book (more or less stupid) to learn the basic and then I'm able to learn from internet sources.

So - if you feel, you can't learn C++ and you're learning from the inet version, buy the book and try it again...

Oxyd
I would really suggest Primer Plus. I have that book and it coverese almost all of the main C++ points. It even goes over STL containers and a lot of the more advanced points.
If you want to learn C++ to program games, then I recommend "Beginning C++ Game Programming". It teaches you the basics of C++ while you program simple, text-based games. It shows you how C++ is relevant to games and will keep you interested along the way. The book also does introduce the STL.

No doubt that "Primer" is more comprehensive, but it also costs twice as much. Also, the book is a bit dry and not related to games. I'd would only recommend "Primer" over "Beginning" if your sole goal was to learn C++ (and not game programming).

After reading "Beginning" and getting the basics down in an entertaining way, you can move on to an advanced book/tutorials.
Quote:Original post by BcS
If you want to learn C++ to program games, then I recommend "Beginning C++ Game Programming". It teaches you the basics of C++ while you program simple, text-based games. It shows you how C++ is relevant to games and will keep you interested along the way. The book also does introduce the STL.

No doubt that "Primer" is more comprehensive, but it also costs twice as much. Also, the book is a bit dry and not related to games. I'd would only recommend "Primer" over "Beginning" if your sole goal was to learn C++ (and not game programming).

After reading "Beginning" and getting the basics down in an entertaining way, you can move on to an advanced book/tutorials.

yeah get this book cuz by the time you are done you will have around 10 fully working games in c++ albeit text based. The other ones will bore you to death before you even get around to writing 1 game!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement