Gun fighting in a RPG

Started by
25 comments, last by LedL0af 19 years, 9 months ago
Well I plan to make an RPG involving guns. Does anyone have any idea on how you would make this work? From old MMORPG's like Ultima Online, the archer when he attacked is sort of the way I am thinking. Basically you click what you want to attack and it turns to an auto battle type mode and continues until someone is dead. But I was thinking about it and I don't know how I could make it more strategy style. It would be pointless to just click someone and have it shoot until its dead. Of course you would only have so many bullets, similer to UO's arrows. I don't want it to be like "ShadowRun" if anyone ever played that for SNES. Which you clicked the target as many times as you wanted to fire. Hmmm ...Well if anyone can come up with a strategy style rpg combat system using guns please post your ideas.
West Side...
Advertisement
Some points, off the top of my head, which you might want to incoporate into whatever you figure out, which might contribute to strategy-

Shooting over/around cover.
Reloading.
Rate of fire.
Recoil.
Accuracy.
Gun jamming.
Quick drawin'.
Scoped weapons.

Obviously these would be strongly linked to whatever stat, skill, or whatever new and original RPG advancement system you're incorporating into the game, so as your character progresses her reaction times get better, along with accuracy and stuff like that.

Maybe you click once on the enemy and the character starts targetting it, firing a shot, or burst of shots, as often as she's able, until the enemy is dead or out of range? Meanwhile you can still move the character around? perhaps?

Cover and terrain could play a role in reducing your character's chances of getting shot, or hitting someone.. and a player -might- develop a strategy of running out into the open to fire, and back into cover to reload?

Typically though, you'd want your system to be similar, interface-wise, to the rest of your game, to keep the player un-confused-like, and let the peculiarities of whatever mechanics you implement dictate possible strategies.

.tmp
.sigMarginally offended by this post? Rate me down.
I might just be being a dumb newbie, but I cant see the original post anymore, just my reply... what's up with that?
.sigMarginally offended by this post? Rate me down.
Its still there the post :-). Anyhow well I thought of all that just about but some of it just won't fit the style of an isometric map. Recoil? How could you add that in. Basically I would knock that out and randomize the chance ect. Of course you could move and shoot and hide behind things. Its also a matter of gun confusion. It is possible for someone with a pistol to kill someone with a machine gun. "Head Shot" but this is an RPG and it doesn't work like that. Range is also a good term to use. Closer you are the more accurate. So my idea might be like this.

Beind able to hold 2 weapons for multiple targets. A skill for shooting multiple targets.

Have 4 body type shots. Randomize based on the accuracy level.
Head, Chest, Arm, Leg. Head being a critical shot doing major damage. Ect.

Toggle to combat mode (pulling out your gun) and clicking on an enemy will cause your character to shoot until you push a button to stop firing (you may want to stop to reserve ammo).

You can move around and hide behind things. Things such as bushes will make you less likely to get hit but still possible.

Perhaps allowing a weight system. So people can't carry 4 machine guns 3 pistols ect. Instead big machine guns will max their weight. But when they run out it will take longer to reload, while the guy with a sub machine gun and pistol could switch to the pistol after running out of machien gun bullets and finish whats left of him.

But all this still needs work because I want it to be a skill type thing. Such as the magery in UO, it involved someone knowing what spell to cast at what times. How can I make this involve more skill. Also what do you think would be a good way to heal. I am thinking bandages just like in UO. You apply the bandage (1 per 13 seconds) and if its a success it heals you based on your healing skill. That would apply some strategy skill but also would be difficult since you don't have unlimited bullets. It needs to be made in a way which seperates the people that are not good at the game with the people who are. Not a luck base game. What do you guys think.

PS: I am not reading this over so excuse the English. I'm tired. lol
West Side...
Quote:Original post by themindpuppet
I might just be being a dumb newbie, but I cant see the original post anymore, just my reply... what's up with that?

His rating is at the time 848. Your rating threshold is probably over that.
Enter the control panel, under Options select "Board Settings". Nr 9 on that page, Rating Threshold, must be set to less than 848 to view his post. I've got it at 0, and I see no reason to rise it. Even someone with a low rating may have a valid point once in a while (or as in this case start a topic).
Instead of buying a "+5 Sword Of Foobar" you could just buy basic guns and components and build your own customized weapons, like in KOTOR or Parasite Eve.
People don't like my response's because lots of things people post I don't agree with. Thats why my rating is low, and I really do not care if they like my post. I speak what I think needs to be said.

Quote:Instead of buying a "+5 Sword Of Foobar" you could just buy basic guns and components and build your own customized weapons, like in KOTOR or Parasite Eve.

Yes...that comes with using guns instead of swords ect. But the question still remains about the strategy of it all and how to bring skill to it fighting.
West Side...
I'm not really contributing to your discussion, sorry. I just wanted to say that you'll probably have more responses if you create a thread in the Game Design forum.
You could also have upgraded skills (similar to True Crime for the xbox). Start out with some crappy guns with average shooting skill. Upgrade guns, add scopes and laser sights, increase rate of fire, clip size, bullet types (hollow points, etc). Upgrade skills like having assistance to locking on targets, able to shoot at more than one target at a time (with two guns), etc.

Not exactly what you are asking but this could be a way to make the combat system a little more interesting. I would also suggest a way to keep everyone moving (unless they are behind cover). I can just imagine so many games I've played where the dumbass is standing out in the open firing at a target and isn't smart enough to keep moving and/or find cover. :\
If you need an example of an RPG with well implemented guns, try the Fallout series, especially Fallout 2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement