Down with scripting (rpg's)

Started by
14 comments, last by C-Junkie 23 years, 7 months ago
Doh! I should have known it couldn't be that easy, Landfish.

Answer the question, eh? I will...in another thread...

Edited by - Nazrix on September 18, 2000 1:12:28 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
an rpg without scripts (in any form, including interaction over the net), would thus be a static game. And you can only talk to and view so many places, people, and things before you grow tired of the reality.

"scripts are rigid"?
they are what change the game from being static (rigid).

"no ending"
hehe, how would you make money off of the sequel then?
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
C-Junkie : I think you are either using the wrong word, or pointing at the wrong target.
If you meant scripting as in "the game has a script that is followed and you cant do anything else...", then yeah, taht''s getting a bit boring, but you should have used the word "linear" ... and we come back to a hot issue of RPG...linear vs open.

If you meant scripting as in "scrip engine" then I say Nay !
First there was triggers, simple triggers. Either you''ve found the artifact or you haven''t. Now with script engine you could do much more by making branching (you got the artifact intact, you got the artifact but broken, you got the artifact but killed someone ...) OK the example is not the best, but what I am trying to say is that scripting is an evolution from what we had so far. What we can do now is try to find better way to use it. More modifiable things in the game world, for instance, to create better scripted sequences, to allow for more possiblities.

As well, I''d like to see emergent behaviours in RPG. I don''t think it''s gonna be there before a while... but it''s a nice goal to aim for. this is basically what I am trying to describe in the few thread I started on trying to analyse plot making.

mmm ...

youpla :-P

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
OK...Open RPG not a linear RPG is what sounds like a blast. You see, the way I''m thinking about this problem is that each individual in the game deals with its own problems from the information availble in his scope. The whole game course would have to be plotted intricately from the begginning so as to provide action throughout the possible centuries that the player might live. Because, the whole course of the game would require a psychic or a genius (as we''re writing a sort of Chaos Theory for our game).

For people, classify them in large groups, and get mroe intricate as you go define smaller groups all the way down to the individual. What do I means about "define"ing groups? setting their personality traits. (although, to a small degree they would be erratic) Set numbers for things like: thrift, materialsm, honesty, extroversion, etc. and find some form for representing that prejudices, interests, and other things of that sort.

This sort of system is quite possible with current technology. It just has to be broken down into the small part that a single NPC holds. The ONLY problem I forsee the the necessity of a turn based game. Seeing as the computer cannot access fast enough a hundred megabytes alone for the NPC and world data. Then you add graphics, sound... It would be EXTREMELY big to get such detail, but it can be done. As some of you seem to say it cannot. Yes, AI would need to do something that no one has ever done before. But, it is a matter of time and patience. Something Game companies do not have because time=money...

I''m probably rambling...so ask specific questions, so I can answer them.
OK...Open RPG not a linear RPG is what sounds like a blast. You see, the way I''m thinking about this problem is that each individual in the game deals with its own problems from the information availble in his scope. The whole game course would have to be plotted intricately from the begginning so as to provide action throughout the possible centuries that the player might live. Because, the whole course of the game would require a psychic or a genius (as we''re writing a sort of Chaos Theory for our game).

For people, classify them in large groups, and get mroe intricate as you go define smaller groups all the way down to the individual. What do I means about "define"ing groups? setting their personality traits. (although, to a small degree they would be erratic) Set numbers for things like: thrift, materialsm, honesty, extroversion, etc. and find some form for representing that prejudices, interests, and other things of that sort.

This sort of system is quite possible with current technology. It just has to be broken down into the small part that a single NPC holds. The ONLY problem I forsee the the necessity of a turn based game. Seeing as the computer cannot access fast enough a hundred megabytes alone for the NPC and world data. Then you add graphics, sound... It would be EXTREMELY big to get such detail, but it can be done. As some of you seem to say it cannot. Yes, AI would need to do something that no one has ever done before. But, it is a matter of time and patience. Something Game companies do not have because time=money...

I''m probably rambling...so ask specific questions, so I can answer them.
OK, then it''s Yet-Another-Thread-Against-Linearity ... fine by me
Well, from hat you say, it sounds like you''re thinking a bit like Nazrix.

My opinion will then be similar. You could think in a scalar way, just like in RealLife.

For instance, I have a very vague knowledge of what Americans are all like. So, if I was a player and America was part of the places I *could* go, you could say that the continent America is populated by a bunch of capitalists pigs and survivalists rednecks ... without defining further. Now if I actually went there, I would probably/hopefully discover plenty of people that are not like that at all. To be more specific, I''ll use an example I know. Ireland, from far distance, is a land of leprechauns, alcoholics, and future american immigrants (oh yeah, and it''s the land Angel was born in .. in Buffy )
Now that''s the "basic" definition of an Irish.
Then you go there, and you go to say, Dublin. There I realise that not every irish is alcoholic, some are assholes as well, and some are damn cool, and generally people are quite relax, though Dublin is an exception. Then I go in the North, and I discover another view of what irish are like.
So I have a default model of irish, then I have a Dublin definition, then a Donegal definition (north of ireland).
Now I have been living or two years there... so I have acquired a reputation, people know me, and I know them. I have met pure dicks, some real friends I hang around with, I am known in my pub, etc. I now have new definitions of specific NPCs for that place Letterkenny, which is in Donegal, which is in Ireland.
Only define/refine what you need to.
As well, people there have a default opinion that french=arrogant bastards... and I could describe again how my own reputation as a french is modified by how much people and I are acquainted.

well ... waddaya think ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement