Answering Landfish's Question...

Started by
21 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 7 months ago
LF,

Even if what you're saying is correct, and people play it once or twice...I would be fine with that. As long as it's an enjoyable and interesting experience (and I think it would be) then I'd be content. As CRPGs are now, I usually don't make it through half of the game usually due to the lack of interactivity.

Your point is noted though. I think there would be enough consistancy so that it would not get out of control. I'm thinking that the main story will have basically the same flow, the difference will be where the player interacts in the story. So, the consistancy will be within the stories events.

I certainly don't think that it would have less replayability than most other CRPGs so far. I think people will just replay it for different reasons than past games.

Edited by - Nazrix on September 20, 2000 8:59:14 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
I heard Gollum break my first rule: Scope. PAthfinding algorithm for spreading reputations? First, it''s faking it. Second, it screws up. Third, it IS NOT IN SCOPE!!!! What''s wrong with NPC''s going to pubs and GOSSIPING? Why do you have to make some "god" force people to "realize" stuff they didn''t know!? The first mistake in AI is making utterly useless things that accomplish a specific task. Why not a general communication system of talking? Not only would that solve that problem, but many others all with exponetially less coding! Consolidation of effort.
Ok, first off, with a name like C-Junkie, you win as far as who knows how to code.

But you said, "first mistake in AI is making utterly useless things that accomplish a specific task"

heehee. How can something that accomplishes a specific task be utterly useless?

The reason I like the pathfiding algorithm is that it would take *less* code. You''re really saying that a simple pathfinding algorithm, like the one that guys in C&C use to find paths, is MORE code than writing an AI for NPC''s to actually CONVERSE with each other? Again, I bow to your coding knowledge, but that''s really hard for me to believe.

Let me state here MY rule for what to do in AI. - Do the simplest thing that will look real. At least until we have enough power to simulate everything, from physics on up. :-)

There. Now, personally, I would much prefer that the NPC''s all think on their own and talk to each other and have gossip come up in conversation. But it''s amazing to think that that''s the easier way.

Come to think of it, I sincerely hope you are correct. It''ll save me some work if you are. :-)

- gollumgollum

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement